Running after plastics

Cassie W.
on 1/20/08 9:06 am

I'm starting to think about scheduling a lower body lift, but I need to fit it into my running calendar.  For those of you who have had plastics, when did your surgeon give you the go ahead to start exercising again. I'm thinking maybe I'll schedule plastics after my fall marathon and take a hiatus from winter running.   I'm just afraid of taking any kind of break.  I don't want to lose the gains I've already made. Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

MaryS
on 1/20/08 10:43 pm - Long Island, NY
Cassie, I would wait until after your fall marathon.  The winter is a good time to take a hiatus from running.  I should know as I am on one right now (after my lower face lift and scar revision surgery).  I was told by my plastic surgeon no running for six weeks and no weight training for 3 months.  It was really scary to think about taking off for that long, but it was ok and my endurance came back quickly.  I had some tough periods during my recovery and I got a pretty bad infection.  It was tough getting back to running when at one point during my recovery I could barely walk at 2 mph on the treadmill.  But I did get back into my running and ultimately I believe the lbl helped my running as I had about 16 pounds removed.  It made a difference in my speed and my balance. Let me know if you any have other questions on this. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Cassie W.
on 1/21/08 8:36 am
Thanks Mary, I live in the snow belt of Central New York and figure winter would be the easiest time to take a break.  I'd have the treadmill for walking until released to run.  The LBL scares me a bit.  I had a breast reduction before gastric bypass and the recovery process felt so long.  It was five weeks before I could lay on my stomach with that surgery, but the results were so worth the discomfort. I'm guessing recovery from the LBL will be comparable.  If you have any tips for the recovery process send them my way.  With the incision all the way around, how did you find a comfortable position to sleep? Cassie

Scott William
on 1/21/08 2:02 am
Hey Cassie.   It was great meeting you.  What are the odds that we would run into eachother as much as we did.  Congrats on your race.   I am thinking about the panectomy possibly next winter also.  The break is nerve wracking but necessary.  Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Cassie W.
on 1/21/08 8:46 am
Hi Scott, Because of the WISH meet, I figured I might see you at Pop Century, but never dreamed our paths would cross at the start of the half.  I thoroughly enjoyed Disney and had a great run despite the humidity.  I'm trying to choose between the LBL and the Goofy.  If I have plastics in November, I'd have to postpone the Goofy 'til 2010.  Work is busy at the beginning of the year, so I wouldn't want to run Goofy and then be out of work for plastics. I just have to figure out what's most important to me right now. Cassie

Sporty Jill
on 1/21/08 2:18 am - Norfolk, VA
That's EXACTLY what I did.  I had my LBL on 10/31 and was relased on 12/19 (I had already started walking before hand, but not real fast).  I'm not preparing for the Shamrock 8K on 3/15 and am back up to 3 miles 3 times a week................

Certified Personal Trainer

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna
Beginning Weight: 265  Current Weight:143 
So I run like a Girl....now keep up! 

Cassie W.
on 1/21/08 9:08 am

Jill, Wow!  You've really made a lot of progress in such a short time.  It gives me hope that taking a break for plastics won't be so bad after all.  Like you, I think I really need the plastics as the final step in my transformation.  I'm a size 4 now, but I don't like having to tuck all that skin into a girdle to hide it.   Cassie

Most Active