Workout advice

jon1970
on 1/17/08 1:03 pm
Since my surgery I have been good about working out. I have been doing 30 minutes on the treadmill in the morning followed by some dumbell excercises additionally I have been swimming 1/2 mile in the evening.  My dumbell routine is pretty basic. 3 sets of 10 curls, wrist extensions, incline flys, incline press, tricep extensions two hand over head, and bent rows. Is this enough. I have been toying with the idea of doing some legs but have not been able to comit that extra time at the gym. I am able to do the treadmill and dumbells at home and just the swim involves a trip to the gym. Any advice is appreciated.  Jon
kypdurran
on 1/17/08 10:19 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi Jon.  I've had the best success and the best gains by training single body parts once a week rather than working everything at the same time multiple times a week.   This allows PLENTY of time for the muscle to repair and rebuilt after a strenuous workout.   For the most part I stay away from the Nautilus type machines and stick to fee weights and dumbells too.   The coordination involved in using free weights is an extra added benefit that helps with muscle development for me.

For example on Monday I will concentrate on chest.   Wedensday on Back / Shoulders.   Friday on arms.   I do so much running, stadiums, swimming and biking that I hardly ever ever do legs.  

A typical 'weight' day (Monday/Wednesday/Friday) for me would be:

- 4 miles morning run
- 4 miles afternoon run (2 miles to the gym and 2 miles back to work)
- 45 minutes weight training
- 30 minutes stadiums / swimming or 1 hour road biking

On Tuesday and Thursday I do cardio exclusively and I reserve Saturday for my 'long run' or a race if I have one on tap.   

Good luck and hang in there.

wjoegreen
on 1/17/08 11:27 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Well that explains alot of your success. You are an animal!!! So when did you give up your full-time job? What do you do with your free time?? Thanks for the insight.  Impressive to say the least.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Deanna34
on 1/18/08 2:56 am - Salem, OR
Hi Jon! How about adding some squats and lunges to your routine?   Or you could vary your schedule and do some strength training at the gym when you go to swim?  Do you have any weight lifting classes at your gym?   Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Earl C.
on 1/18/08 10:54 am - Circleville, OH
Do a search on youtube for Crossfit or Tabata Squats. Heck of leg and cardio workout with no equipment required. Makes me  jus****ching it. I used to do stuff like that back in high school and lost 100 lbs in 3 months doing crap like that. Good luck Earl
jon1970
on 1/19/08 2:08 pm
Joe, It is amazing how much more I have had since I stopped eating all the time. Jon
Most Active