Finished first marathon!

Linn D.
on 1/17/08 8:47 am - Missoula, MT

Hey all, I ran (and finished) my very first marathon last Sunday!! It was the Rock and Roll in Phoenix, AZ and it was fabulous!  Great music, lots of spectators, and great weather. I started running about 3.5 years ago and have run several 10k and 3 half marathons before, but never a full marathon.  It feels wonderful to have trained for something for so long and then be able to actually follow through and finish. For any of you just beginning to run, it is such an amazing form of exercise and the rewards just keep coming. Thanks for letting me share, Linn

Rob S.
on 1/17/08 9:30 am - DE
Great job.  I understand from a friend who ran that one last year it is really a party.   Now get ready for the next one. Rob
Linn D.
on 1/17/08 11:07 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks Rob. I'm going to start training for some triathlons, because that was my initial goal when I started running in the first place.  My time was pretty slow (5.5 hr) and I needed several pit stops, so I definitely have some things to work on for the next marathon, but I already have some good ideas.
kypdurran
on 1/17/08 10:42 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Great job Linn.   I bet it was exhilerating to cross the finish line?

I'm running my first triathlon of the season next weekend and my first marathon next month.   I've got triathlons scheduled all year long with my 'big' one being the Escape from Alcatraz tri in June.  I'm crossing my fingers that I get a slot.   They pick 1 male and female triathlete from each state in a lottery system.  Hopefully nobody else in Louisiana will be stupid enough to want to put their body through it and I'll get my slot!  :)

Linn D.
on 1/17/08 10:58 am - Missoula, MT
What's funny to me is that I started running with the goal of doing triathlons!  I did finally sign up for one this coming April.  It turns out that I didn't hate running as much as I thought I would and I have a hard time making myself swim because I don't see the results as quickly. Well, I promised myself I'd get into the pool after fininshing the marathon, so next week it begins.  I already bike, so all I need to work on is the swim portion. Have a good tri next weekend!
wjoegreen
on 1/17/08 12:02 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
You Guys,.... you'll all amazing!!! Keep dangling that carrot out there,...I'm still chasing you.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Scott William
on 1/19/08 9:38 pm
Way to go Linn.  You have just joined an elite club and your membership can never be revoked.  With all the training time and effort, you are worthy.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 1/20/08 10:46 pm - Long Island, NY
Linn, Congratulations on your first marathon!  I noticed you said "first", are you planning another one?  I ran my first marathon in November and it was absolutely amazing!  I can't wait to do it again. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Linn D.
on 1/20/08 11:14 pm - Missoula, MT

Mary, Thank you so much.  My plan is to work on swimming and doing some tri's this summer, but I go to Phoenix every year for the Rock and Roll, so I think I'll at least do that one again.  I just need to get the runner's trots under control.  7 trips to the porta potty adds a lot to your time! The town I live in also does a marathon in July.  We'll see how I feel come March.  If I'm getting enough swimming in and can manage the time for long runs I should be able to do it. It's all about having goals.  That's what keeps me going. Linn

Cassie W.
on 1/21/08 9:17 am
Congratulations Linn!  I'm looking forward to your updates on your triathalon goals.   Each time I read about other's accomplishments, it inspires me to think about trying new things.  I've enjoyed the running so much, maybe it's time to learn how to swim! Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active