Water Aerobic Exercise ????

fancyjane
on 1/17/08 1:34 am - Hickory, NC
Hi, This is my first post to this board - I've been lurking hoping to see more abou****er excercise. My question is:  Is water exercise enough to be losing weight? I am almost 2 months out (lapRNY - 11-20-07) and since week 3 have been going to water exercises for one hour three times a week.  I ride a stationary bike whenever I can find the time.  Usually 2- 3 times a week.   I have been told that this is not enough exercise and that I should be walking, walking walking. I have lost 40 lbs. as of two weeks ago ( I don't weigheveryday and sometimes not every week) and feel that I am doing ok but would like to have other opinions.  Any comments good or bad would be welcome. Thanks, Nancy
Deanna34
on 1/17/08 4:27 am - Salem, OR
Hi Nancy! I think water aerobics is great!  That is what I did when I first joined my gym right after I had surgery.  I really loved it because it was low impact on my knees.  Anyway, I did water aerobics for probably 2-3 months in addition to some strength training and walking.  But after a couple months I noticed I wasn't feeling it as much from the workout so I quit doing it and moved on to other things like the elliptical and Spin classes.   Anyway, I don't know what to say other than I think it's good you're getting out there and exercising.  And I think you're getting a decent workout from water aerobics!  In time you will probably get inspired to do more as more weight comes off.  But it sounds like you're doing great already! Keep up the good work! Deanna

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 2/6/08 5:20 pm - OH
I think I am going to take my firs****er aerobics class this friday. I have some problems with my right knee. My personal trainer is working with me to try and strengthen it but I think this will help too and I love the water.
"Your BANDestiny is in your own hands!"
Status: Highest weight 378  Prebanding 299.6 Current Weight 244.2
fancyjane
on 2/8/08 9:12 am - Hickory, NC
Thank you for responding to my post.  I just love my water aerobics classes.  I have had both of my knees replaced and back fusion surgery.  My doctors told me abou****er aerobics before my getting any info for weight loss surgery.  It certainly does help me and I hope that you will find the same succes that I have found.  I feel so much better and I lost weight and inches when I first started doing the exercises.    My reason for asking the question was that someone told me that they didn't think water aerobics was enough exercise and that I should be walking, walking,...............walking!!  Well guess what - I do much better in the pool than I do with walking.  When I walk my back hurts so much and I get so tired that I have to stop and rest.   Sorry for rambling - but just wanted to tell you my story partly. Thanks, Nancy
adorkbl
on 2/9/08 12:16 pm
Hi Nancy... No one exercise is right for everyone. My mom lost 105 walking (no WLS) and she is always on me about how I should walk. I am training for a 5K so I have been doing a walk/run combo... but that to her is too much, and I should just walk. Because that is how she lost it. blah blah blah...  Well just straight up walking BORES me. And if it bores me, I am going to quit. What I am trying to say is if you ENJOY water aerobics, and you are losing weight, AWESOME. Why change it up? Don't fix what ain't broke. Also with your knees and back issues I personally thing walking would put more strain and possibly cause more pain.  I just joined a gym and am so excited to add water aerobics into my routine 3 days a week. Because it is FUN and a good workout! I like to change it up. Keep up the good work!

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

Most Active