Question RE: Exercise Pre-Surgery...

Jessica O.
on 1/16/08 3:51 am - Grafton, MA
Hi everyone ... I am a new poster to the board.  I am awaiting Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass surgery.  I hope to have surgery in March.  I have a question about exercise/toning prior to surgery.  This may be a question that is asked quite frequently.  It seems that I have this little voice in my head that says ... Exercise, Exercise, Exercise ... LOL.  My questions is ... the more I exercise, lift weights/tone now ... will that help to reduce/have less extra skin after the rapid weight loss?  I have been doing cardio and strength training (weight machines) 3 times/week for a few months now.  I haven't noticed a huge difference, but just wondering if my efforts now will pay off later.  Any feedback/comments/experiences are greatly appreciated.   
2fit2quit
on 1/16/08 5:49 am - MI

Hi Jessica, Welcome! Exercising now will definitely help you after your surgery.  Anything you can do to raise your metabolism and increase your lean muscle mass will help you now, then and forever.  As for your skin, I do know that exercise can make your skin healthier which I can only assume will help after your surgery. Other than when told not to exercise by your doctor, you feel injured, or you are felling to ill to exercise, you should try doing some sort of physical activity every day. If your are just getting started, which it sounds like you have been exercising for a little while at least, but for anyone else’s benefit that’s reading, start off slow and ease in to it. I wish you the best in march.

Earl C.
on 1/16/08 7:27 am - Circleville, OH

This is how I looked at it pre surgery…

Anything I can do to make me healthier will increase the odds for a successful Surgery in general. It’s still major surgery and there are risks. The healthier you are going into surgery the healthier you’ll be while recovering. Losing some weight before surgery also gives your surgeon more room to maneuver around all the organs.

As for the skin, taking more time to lose the weight might help some. You never know about the skin issues until you’ve lost the weight. Some people have no issues at all and they really aren't doing anything special to prevent skin issues. They are just lucky. Most do if you have some issues if they lose over 100 pounds. You're young so chances are you'll have less to worry about that someone my age. But, I'd worry about that bridge when you come to it.

Good luck

Earl

Most Active