Abdominal Exercises Post Surgery

Laurie S.
on 1/14/08 3:33 am - Tomball, TX
Hi everyone! I've been religious with my cardio work, but at what point after surgery can we do stomach crunches,etc.?  I had RNY on 10/15/07, so I'm guessing it's ok now, but I thought I'd get opinions as well. I go to the doctor again on 1/24 so I will check with him as well.      I just want to avoid getting a dreaded hernia if at all possible!
Earl C.
on 1/14/08 8:30 am - Circleville, OH
I'd guess that it's ok. Just like anything else start slow and gradually build up the amount of ab work you're doing. In other words if you start off the first day in a 1 hour ab class...you'll be sorry. :) You'll know when you start to get a hernia. If you feel a sharp pain...stop. We all can't be Rob. :) Good luck. Earl
stitch0102
on 1/15/08 9:21 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
My surgeon had me wait about 2 months before doing any real weight training.  I would check with yours first but think it's probably OK to start slow.  That's always the key.  Remember to use good form.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

Laurie S.
on 1/15/08 9:45 pm - Tomball, TX
Thank you both for the feedback! :)   
Starting Over
on 1/16/08 2:57 am
As soon as I left the hospital (I had surgery on 11/12) my surgeon said..."As long as it doesn't hurt, do it". So I started walking, and have moved to a step workout for more intensity. I recently purchased some ab videos (remember the old 8 minute abs video?) and have done those with no problems whatsoever. As the weight drops I've noticed more flab in the tummy, so I wanted to start working in this are in hopes of reducing the extra skin. Definitely check with your surgeon as each one is different. Maybe even call before your appt and ask...then maybe you can feel confident in starting now! Good Luck!
Laurie S.
on 1/16/08 3:10 am - Tomball, TX
Thanks so much! :)  
kypdurran
on 1/17/08 10:53 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Sure.  Crunches, sit-ups, leg raises, leg 'bicycles', leg throwdowns, etc.   You can do them all with no I'll effects if you are far enough out but check with your doc first just to make sure. 

I workout with a medecine ball at the boxing gym and if anything were going to bust my insides it would be that.  :)

Laurie S.
on 1/21/08 1:36 am - Tomball, TX
Thanks for your input! :)     
Most Active