PSCI Icicle 10-miler...

Rob S.
on 1/13/08 3:49 am - DE
Well, I ran my first 10-miler today.   It was more painful than it needed to be.  I finished in 1'44".  Fairly slow, but I actually started this morning hoping that I could finish, and trying to keep my time under 2 hours.  I did the first 6 miles (10k) in 56'30".  The first mile was a steady downhill, followed by four miles of a fairly steep climb.  Miles 6-9 were flat, but chilly with the wind in our face.  The last mile is another killer hill up to the last 500 yards for a flat finish.  I did ok on the hills, but wore myself out for the second half of the race.  The last four miles I sort of crumbled and had to walk a few times.    At least I have my time now, so I can try to figure out how to improve my time or endurance.   Not sure how I'm going to get the half-marathon distance under my belt, but it's not till March so I've got some time. Looking forward to a nice quick 5k later in January. Rob 
Earl C.
on 1/13/08 5:54 am - Circleville, OH
That's great Rob. Didn't I read somewhere if you can run 8 miles non stop or something like that, you can run a marathon? Anyway. Awesome job there Rob. Earl
wjoegreen
on 1/13/08 7:44 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Great time there Mr. Energizer Bunny. You are an amazing specimen of health.   Thanks for another new standard! If you wish to take a slight break and let some of us younger guys catchup,...that would be acceptable to me.  Did you gt one of those Roger Clemens pain killer injections???
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
MaryS
on 1/13/08 9:04 pm - Long Island, NY
Rob, Congratulations on your 10 milers!  I'd like to do 10 miles at your "slow pace".  Your "slow pace" would be my "fast pace"...lol!  Great job!!  You'll have no problem with the half marathon distance.  If you can do 10 miles, you can do a 1/2 marathon.  You might not be as comfortable as you'd like, but you could certainly cover the distance. Way to go! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Dan_P.
on 1/13/08 11:09 pm - Baltimore, MD
Rob. Cold + Hills = a hard running day. I bet you'll find that you'll do better as the weather gets warmer. Congrats on your first 10 miler!
Most Active