What is more important?

evan_326
on 1/11/08 1:15 am - Rock Island, IL
What is more important? The amount of time you walk or the distance?  :) Jamie
Earl C.
on 1/11/08 3:37 am - Circleville, OH
I'm all for time at first, then gradually start picking up speed and your distance and conditioning will increase. It's shouldn't be an easy walk unless you're just recovering from surgery or it's a recovery day, where I think just the activity at a lower intensity does you good.
wjoegreen
on 1/11/08 4:08 am - Colonial Heights, VA

I'm with Earl.   Going out for a walk and standing or sitting doesn't count but if you get out there and try, the time will increase.  As the time increases, the distance and speed increases.   The journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step (old Chinese Proverb).

Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
2fit2quit
on 1/12/08 1:24 pm - MI

HI Jamie, That is a great question. The short answer is the time you walk. Long answer because of factors like your fitness level, if you use an incline, the amount of weight you carry and so on can affect the intensity.  Your fitness level is the most crucial. Think of it this way.  Take two runners, both are about to run 1 mile.  One has never run a day in his/her life.  The other has been running 10 miles a day for 10 years.   Let’s say they run the same speed, low to moderate.  Who do you think will be working at a higher intensity?  The one who has not run before.  The other might not even break a sweat.  In order for the 10 mile a day runner to get the same workout as the non runner, he/she would need to increase the pace of the run. This brings me to the next point    I hope im not boring you with this, but if you’re like me, I like to know everything I can about what I’m doing. Anyways, the next thing to keep in mind is this is why we monitor our heart rate during exercise to control our intensity.  There is an optimum target heart rate for each of us for burning fat, or building endurance etc. There are charts of this all over the internet, but be careful because they are for the average person what ever that is.  The best thing to do is talk to you doctor or a personal trainer or someone that is trained with this sort of thing before you decide what your target should be.  Another way is the talk test,  You should be working hard, but you should not be out of breath while running.  You should be able to carry on a conversation And another thing, start out slow.  Don’t over do it, and have fun Are ya still with me????

evan_326
on 1/12/08 9:01 pm - Rock Island, IL
Thank you SO much for all the info. I appreciate it SO much! I have never been a "fitness" person. I always hated exercising. Now, that it is part of my routine, I al really liking walking and hoping that in the very near future I can try other things. I guess, I get on my treadmill, started with 1 mile, then this week it was 1.5 miles but, I guess I should have been walking 30, 45, 60 min and just upped the pace. I know I am not at my target heart rate ONLY because I know I am still recovering. But, I guess since Monday is 4 wks out, maybe I should step up the pace and keep the same time. I am very frustrated at this point because I am at a "stall". Anywho, I am just carring on now. Thanks again for the info. If you have anymore, Send it my way!!! Thanks Again!!! :) Jamie 
Earl C.
on 1/13/08 5:45 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Jamie, Don't over think it and end up not doing anything. I think a lot of people new to exercise do a lot of reading and end up over thinking themselves right out of getting any exercise in at all. Just get out there and do it, as you advance all this target heart rate stuff means more. For now, you have to just put in the time and effort and worry about the details later. Personally as a side note, I know everyone says check with your doctor...I do too, but most Doctors are not trained in exercise or diet, believe it or not. Good luck Earl
2fit2quit
on 1/13/08 12:04 am - MI

You are very welcome.

Sense you are 4 weeks out, you may want to make a quick call to your doctor and ask him what he recommends.  He will know exactly what you should be at.

2fit2quit
on 1/13/08 12:33 am - MI

You are very welcome Just remember not to over do it.  Don't think about what you should do and instead focus on what you can do.   It's not unheard of for someone just starting out to only be able to walk for 5 minutes but in time that amount go's to 10, the 20 and so on.  It will come. Think about using the talk test for now and use the target heart rate later on. Another great Idea would be to just give your DR a call.  He/she will know exactly where you should be exercising

I know there are trainers on here with way more experience with post op training then me.  Maybe we can get them to make a recommendation.

Most Active