lunges & upper body issues

inofwls
on 1/10/08 10:37 pm
I am looking for variations on the traditional lunge movement, also, my upper body is very weak I can't do push-ups any thoughs on what I can do to slowly strengthen upper body.  Thank you in advance. -Maryama
Chris G.
on 1/10/08 11:26 pm
As far as push-ups go, you can do things like doing a push-up standing up using a wall. You can also do dumbbell raises (lying on your back with 2 light dumbbells) and maybe even dips (place your hands on the edge of a table or bench behind you; inhale and dip by bending the elbows and rise). There are MANY upper-body exercises that you can do to increase your strength. Lunges can be also be done many ways (stepping ahead, to the side, and back) as well. Here's a link that may be helpful, http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KGB/is_6_3/ai_98641178.
wjoegreen
on 1/10/08 11:31 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Bicep curls, do pushups leaning against a wall or a table/counter so you aren't moving as much body weight at one time.  Bench press is kinda like an upside down push up. Get some dumbells of comfortable weight and do what you can with arm exercise.  Chest work could include sitting and/or lying down rowing/rows, tricep pull downs and pull ups (from the waist ot the chest; not your body hanginfg from a bar type pull ups), and (my personal favorites) flys (lying on the bench press). The most important thing to remeber is proper form is more important than the amount of weight you are moving.  Low weight and lotsa reps tighten and tone muscle (e.g., 10 lbs 20 times, 3 sets).  HIgher weight and fewer reps build muscle mass (if you are trying to bulk-up or get bigger in areas) (e.g., 20 lbs, 8 times, 2 sets).   But don't quit unless you find some more interesting that keeps you moving and active. You are never beat until YOU quit trying!
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
2fit2quit
on 1/13/08 4:20 am - MI

Hi Maryama As was said already about lunges front, back,side.  If you are new to lunges, you can stand next to a table or some other stationary object to give you support.  The lung to the rear is the least hard on the knee if you have knee issues If you have been doing lunges for a while, you can do a walking lunge.  Instead of standing back where you started, you move the back leg forward right in to the next lung.  Another Idea is to add dumbbells for extra weight. As for upper body exercises, the post above where great ideas.  Start light to give your muscles time to learn the new movements.  Start with one set of 8 or 10 reps if you find the exercise tough.  Work towards getting to 12 reps.  Once you can do 12, you can either add a little more weight or add another set of 12.  Ideally it would be best to work towards 2 to 3 set of 12 reps. Unless you are training for something specific that would require a great amount of muscular endurance, you shouldn’t need to do more then 12 reps at a time. If you need more help, just ask

Most Active