Osteo in the knee

1texasmom
on 1/8/08 4:09 am

I would be interested in hearing from some of you who had knee pain before WLS.  Is it less of a problem now?  When - how far out, or how much of a loss - before you started hurting less?

I refuse to let this stall my loss, but my knees really hurt.  And since I can't take ibuprofen any longer to ease inflammation it is starting to be a problem.  Ice packs and wraps only do so much. 

I did start cross training - alternating bike and walking and took off on Sunday.  Is there anything else that you found helpful?  Do I continue with light strength training?

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

janiej
on 1/8/08 9:14 am - Independence, IA
Personally I really like the eliptical .... i don't feel any stress on my kness.  Also when you ride the bike are you upright or on an incumbent.  I think the upright is easier and for now don't use any resistence as that is harder on your knees also.   There is a lotion/cream called Biofreeze that I get at my chiropractors office that is wonderful also... I think the gel is a little stronger than what comes in the stick...  just a thought. Good luck to you -- this journey is so worth it. Janie 275/155 April 2004
Janie 
wjoegreen
on 1/8/08 9:29 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Wow,...janej had some real good advice. Regarding joint pain, before WLS my feet were swollen and I was losing feeling in them (they felt tingly) and it went right up my calves to my knees.  My ankles, knees, right hip and lower back hurt and I got stiff the longer I sat. I still get stiff but it works out pretty quick.  The joint pain is gone and the swelling.  My toes are still tingly but I have normal feeling in my feet.  Most of mine was weight, bllod pressure, and blood pressure medication side-effect related it seemed.  It felt like I was rusting and cloggin and becoming petrified. I still remember the first time after surgery my 13 yr old daugther wanted to go to the track and run with me.  I walked and jogged some then.  She wanted to practice running for the 40 yd dash at school I found out after we got there,....so I ran.  It wasn't pretty. It was like I had forgotten how.  But after the third one, I started getting form back from my youth. By the fourth one she was fried and though I was nuts when I asked her how many she planned to do.  She was toast after 2.  I couldn't catch her that day.  Now on my interval training days, I sprint 100s and she can't catch me. It is an amzing tranisition from the hurting and pathetic blob I had become. I hope your knee get better.  Go with Jane's advice and hopefully it will heal and you'll be rocking and rolling at a glorious pace that makes you smile when you remember where youhave come from. Keep up the good work and effort.  You inspire others with your determination and progress.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
JackieinWA
on 1/9/08 9:21 am - Lynnwood, WA
You have received some great advice.  Do you have a trainer that can teach you some "isometric" strengthening exercises.  This is a type of strenghening where you contract the muscles around the knee but without motion.  It is a great beginning strengthening tool until you knee pain is gone and you can start regular strengthening.  I know many Physical Therapists use this to people with early arthritic changes. As to the BioFreeze, it is a high powered Bengay and works wonderully.  I often give it to my patients with tendonitis. Good Luck

Most Active