Any Mountain Climbers Here?

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/08 3:55 am
I have some friends that want to climb Mt. Rainier.  I am exercising well and want to go, too.  They are contemplating the easiest climb - 4 1/2 days in the middle of the summer.  The summit is over 14,000 feet.  I want to know if there are any climbers who can suggest a good training regimen, especially since I live at low elevation.  Also, I have a torn acl and wonder if that will be a major impediment.  I am going to go to an orthopedic doctor to check for sure, but wonder if anyone knows anything about mountain climbing with a torn acl.  Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 1/7/08 11:18 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Here's links to a couple websites that talk about preparing to climb a 14er -  http://www.alanarnette.com/alan/fourteenersfaq.htm http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_5668500 The Denver Post link is to one article, then there are other links within that article for specific weekly activities geared toward prepping you to climb a 14er.   I'm hoping to climb a 14er in Colorado this summer, so am beginning to physically prepare as I will also be coming from sea level.  Good luck in your efforts!!! Kellie
KTBee
on 1/8/08 4:22 am
I am glad Lynne posted this and I am glad you answered Kellie.  I had thought, someday I might be able to do this, but then I read the links you recommended and I thought that I could start training for this now. My son attends the Air Force Academy and we go to Colorado at least a couple of times a year.  What a difference things have been pre-op and post op.  I can handle the altitude much better. Kellie, I am like you--sea level.  I still feel it when I get up in the mountains.  I breathe hard going up the stairs at the academy when I run up stairs here on the Gulf Coast and don't get out of breathe.  I am thrilled to see that there are beginner mountains.  Who would have ever thought it.  I know that sounds like a total flatlander.  LOL Katy B
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/08 6:45 am
Hi Katy! I grew up in the Springs so I know the Academy well - I also go to all the basketball and football games, so I'm a big fan! The altitude up there is a killer - I have watched basketball teams, all in great shape, start a game energetic and then finish up barely able to get off the floor. It can hit even the best of athletes! If you ever head out here feel free to send me a message and I would love to introduce you to some great local hikes. There are some for all levels - I'm excited for Kellie to come here and hike a 14er, we'll be doing it together! If you can't tell I'm kind of enthusiastic about getting people outdoors as seen by the lonnnggg post to Lynne. It has made such a difference in my life that I love to share it with others.  
KTBee
on 1/8/08 12:48 pm
Wow!  That would be great PJ.  Your other post had some awesome info too.  I am so impressed with what I saw on your weight loss ticker--you are 8 pounds from goal!  WooHoo!!!!  And you have lost 203 pounds.  That is so wonderful.  We started near the same weight.  I started at 367 and have lost 155 pounds.  I am not so close to goal yet but still plugging along.  I go for my year checkup in February and am hoping to be a bit closer.  I am at 212 now and the doctor set my final goal for 175.  I am supposed to be at 190 by my one year checkup but that is seeming a bit elusive just right now.  But I have been working with a hardcore trainer for the last few weeks and I am starting to see some really good results especially in what I am challenging myself to do.  So climbing some mountains fits in with my new plans.
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/08 5:08 am
Congrats on the 155 pounds, that is terrific! We did start at about the same place - isn't it amazing the change you feel when you loose that much? I'm still amazed everyday that I wake up without my usual aches and pains. Definitely hit me up next time you are here - I have a friend who hikes on the Academy every week in preparation for a trip they are taking to the holy land and it involves lots of climbing. She said the trail is beautiful and a good challenge. Take care Pam
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/08 1:09 pm
Thanks, Kellie.  I'm psyched.
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/08 6:36 am, edited 1/8/08 12:57 pm
I  was so excited to see your post! I climbed my first 14er this summer, just a year after my surgery and I got hooked! It's kind of a big deal here in Colorado since we have the most 14ers in the country. Mt Rainier sounds like quite the undertaking, but if you put your mind to it you can definitely do it. Smart to be planning way ahead because it does take a while to get your body in shape. I have to admit that despite training all summer, I was completely exhausted at the end of it. It completely depletes you and stretches you to a point you wouldn't expect. But it's so worth it! Kellie gave you a link to a Denver Post article and that's a great start. However, they want you to do altitude hikes and I know that's kind of hard for you due to your location. Follow the training plan (it's what I followed) but add in local hikes that are at least steep and rocky and wear a pack that is at least 10 pounds. That will get your legs and shoulders in shape, a big part of the climb. Your ACL may be a problem on the descent (anyone who hikes 14'ers will tell you the hardest part is not the climb up but the climb down!) but if you take it nice and slow and use trekking poles you should be good. Trekking poles are KEY - they have saved me many a day from tearing up my knee or ankle. Invest in some good ones (Black Diamond's are great) and you will not regret it. As for altitude, that's a whole other story. Lots of people come out here and do fine, others have a difficult time. There are a couple of things you can do to help you during the climb. First, I would recommend you planning on getting to Washington a few days early and stay at a place that has an altitude of at least 9000 feet  before you climb. During that time try some local, short hikes at about 10,000-12,000 elevation. This will help your body acclimate. Second is to not climb too quickly. If your friends are fast and you want to try and keep up with them but feel uncomfortable, tell them that and make them slow down. One of the main causes of high altitude sickness is the quickness of your ascent - if you go slowly you will be less likely to suffer from it  That's not a guarantee you won't feel the altitude but it will help you get to the top.  I have known seasoned climbers actually have problems out of the blue with altitude sickness, so it happens to everyone. Learn about it before hand and recognize the symptoms - it can be very dangerous. I would also recommend getting in contact with a mountaineering club - although you are in Kansas they usually have them all over. I have friends who were involved one in Ohio and they said the club will be courses on mountaineering. Good thing to check out. A book to check out would be Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills. You can get it on Amazon and it is the bible for anyone wanting to begin climbing. It may get too technical in some spots but it has good advice. Some websites to check out: http://www.14ers.com - this site is mostly about climbing Colorado's 14ers but it has great resources and a great message board to learn from. I'm here all the time! http://www.summitpost.org/ - This is a more comprehensive site that includes peaks all over the world. They have trail reports from people who have been there and a wealth of information. I could go on and on (I already have!) but I'll stop here. If you have any questions feel free to contact me - I love it when I can meet someone who wants to climb! Pam
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/08 1:10 pm
Thanks, Pam, for the great info!  I am psyched.
Most Active