My Great? Idea! (repost from main forum)

Tulpen
on 1/5/08 8:14 am - Wake Forest, NC
Okay, so I have this idea that I think might be really great, but I wanted to get some feedback from the experts! I am sooooo happy that I had my WLS, and I have really seen great results (beyond what my surgeon expected/predicted) due to my exercising. And I LOVE IT--the exercise and the results. As I've researched, I see a lot of personal trainers/gyms criticizing those who have surgery and promoting their services instead of surgery--to avoid surgery--surgery is bad, bad, bad, blah, blah, blah. But I know from experience that I couldn't have gotten to where I am now without the surgery... So, here's my idea. I would like to become a personal trainer specifically to people like us, those starting the process towards surgery and those who have had surgery. I would love to help people who (just like I did) feel that they could never achieve fitness... I have looked for trainers who specialize in this and have found only a handful... Have any of you worked with trainers like this? Would you have liked (or would you like) to have someone who specialized in working with folks like us? I mean, I could go to people's houses if they didn't feel comfortable going to the gym! I could help!!! What do yall think?

Amy

janiej
on 1/5/08 10:43 am - Independence, IA
I think it's a GREAT idea.  I'm almost 4 years out from my surgery (Lap RNY) and without exercise I would never be where I am today.  I work out 5-6 days a week and love it -- okay usually I love it. At the wellness center where I work out usually the directory works with me - because we have a common friend and got started together.   I've educated him alot about WLS and all the things that go with it and he's always been super supportive and knows that we are somewhat different than the usual patients.  There is another trainer there who I was talking with regarding body fat percentage and she suggested we use calipers to measure my body fat..    HELLOOOOOOO  have you seen my skin??????   Some people have absolutely no idea... and the sad part is people who have lost a lot of weight -- regardless of how they lost it -- will have those same skin issues.   My PCP also had RNY so she can usually identify with issues that are relevant to us...   Having a trainer who is at least educated in RNY -- or was extremely overweight at some point in time so they know the problems associated with that would be GREAT!!!!  I volunteered at my wellness center to work out or even just walk with someone who is taking that initial step of trying to get healthy... but I haven't heard back from anyone.  I would love to help to show someone who is overweight/obese or totally out of shape that there is HOPE. More power to you -- and good luck!!!! Janie 275/135/155 and fit!!!!
Janie 
Tulpen
on 1/6/08 2:14 am - Wake Forest, NC
I laughed when I read the part about the calipers! The trainer at my gym wanted to use them on me also--what a joke!!! :-) Thanks for the feedback!

Amy

Scott William
on 1/6/08 12:45 am
There are so many people that come here with no clue what the heck is going on in the world of exercise and fitness.  That is not to put them down.  They just have not learned yet.  I think it's a great idea for you to specialize in it.  Also on a selfish note, it will keep you focused also.  Go for it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Tulpen
on 1/6/08 2:13 am - Wake Forest, NC
Thanks for the encouragement! I couldn't agree more! I see that you are a marathoner... I'm doing my first in February (I've only done a  half and 5K's before) in Myrtle Beach. Any tips?

Amy

Scott William
on 1/6/08 11:11 am
The last 6 to 8 miles will be tough.  Put one foot in front of the other and don't stop until you cross the finish line.  Keep hydrated.  I am going to try to subside on only the carbohydrate drinks.  I will let you know how it goes.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 1/6/08 4:41 am - DE
I believe if you got an idea, go for it.   Being over four years out from my RNY, I have gotten to know a lot of personal trainers.  They are almost all very interested in learning about the restrictions (if any) that RNY may place on exercising.  They are also very interested in learning about the trauma that prevents many obese people from showing up at gym and having to exercise next to a buff person. Since I am not a body-builder, and use weight trainer to help with my running and cycling performance I am very particualr about the trainers that I take advice from.  I have found at my gym, that the female trainers, are more willing to adapt their training programs to an individual's needs.  I did meet one RNY person in lower Delware who got certified as a personal trainer to do training in-homes, but I do not know how successful she has been.  I am now a certified indoor spinning instructor, but I only occassionally substitute since I prefer to particpate rather than teach.  But I do see a need to really take that extra step and make overweight people feel welcome to the class.   So this is a long-winded way of saying go for it, and be good at it.  Focus on encouragement and small steps. Rob
Tulpen
on 1/6/08 7:42 am - Wake Forest, NC
Thanks for sharing your experiences with me! That really helps!

Amy

1texasmom
on 1/6/08 10:42 am
I had the same issues with trainers prior to WLS.  I finally got online and orderd the at-home study pack.  I took science, nutrition and psychology classes at the localo college and I earned my certification 2 months before my WLS.  I plan to be working in the gym by spring break.  Until then I'm training myself.  I say go for it!!  

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

Most Active