HELP !......Weight lifting and RNY

Sharese Smith
on 1/4/08 5:14 am

Someone with experience please tell me. Can you weight lift after having the RNY. It is safe for me to do all exercise right now! I just want to burn all this fat and build muscle.

Also if anyone has any information on this woman I saw who is a body builder that had WLS. I would love to know who she is......I saw her one time on the before and after photos. I can't locate her....nor do I remember her name. Like a needle in a hay stack.

Thank you,

Dawn S.
on 1/4/08 12:24 pm - Oak Harbor, WA
Hi Sharese, I was told by my doc no lifting weights until i was six weeks out period.  He said i can do any walking activities, wave machine, recumbant bike, and the elliptical as long as i wasn't using the arms.  He said that because of the surgery he didn't want any pulling on the inside so it didn't disrupt anything.  but he said at six weeks i could start with light weights and work my way up.  Good luck on building your muscles and getting slim.  I hope i helped even if it was a little bit. Dawn

wjoegreen
on 1/4/08 1:11 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Walking is the best thing you can do for the first 6-8 weeks, after that,...rock and roll with whatever works for you.  Use your smarts and you'll have to make sure you are getting in your protein and water, and you will probably have to up your iron, B-12 and potassium intake as your exercise program accelerates to overcome fatigue and lack of energy.  But you'll have to figure that out as you go as we are all different and have different likes and styles. Good luck and pace yourself.  This is a new life style not a quick fix.  Focus on relearning to listen to your body, relearning how to eat wisely, and eating as fuel not pleasure or comfort.  Learn to get pleasure and comfort from people and other things like books, movies, religion, and exercise. And mist inportantly, remeber the waistline moves when the scales aren't.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active