Did you use a personal trainer?

JackieinWA
on 1/4/08 12:25 pm - Lynnwood, WA
Did you use a personal trainer while exercising during you weight loss?  If yes, what is the best advice they gave you? I have met with my trainer 3 times and his to me is...lift weights first and then do cardio. Jackie

wjoegreen
on 1/4/08 1:01 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Yes, Scott from this board,..but he can get really personal....... Actually,...no trainer, but I did follow the guidance and advice of those on the Boards here like my good buddy Scott and others.  They got me out walking , which lead to jogging and now I'm working on running.  Pretty scary but its been a year and 185 lbs later and I'm amazed at what I can do.  These folks also are great motivation if you report in with any regularilty. Go get you some goals and some success and don't forget to share with us what you wind up doing!!
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Rob S.
on 1/5/08 3:30 am - DE
I have used a personal trainer since two months prior to my surgery over four long years ago.  I usually do one session which gives me a good regime for about three to four months.  The best advice I got from my initial trainer is that you need to keep moving for the entire time you are at the gym.  If you do some weights, then you need to walk, then hit some more weights.  Constant motion. At this point the trainers at my gym no me so well, that they schedule sessions with me, which is nice, since I don't need to pay for the sessions.   I have also joined a running club to help get better advice about running. Make sure that there is variety in your sessions.  It will keep you motivated.  I attend spinning, kickboxing, body pump/body bar, step, yoga, pilates,  RNR swimming, even zumba classes to keep fresh.  Have fun with it. Rob
KTBee
on 1/7/08 9:07 am
I am still losing and I am working with a trainer.  My first trainer's best advice was "breathe".  I have a hard time remembering to do that.  I hold my breath or I breath in when I should breath out.  I have it down now I guess.  Breathe out on the exertion. I currently work with the world's best trainer.  She has given me lots of advice.  The advice that surprised me the most was that yawning is a sign of dehydration.  My trainer also advocates a 10 minute cardio warmup followed by an hour of  weights and then a half hour of cardio.  Her best advice has been for me to get a heart rate monitor that has a belt around my chest and a watch that reads the results.  It allows me to know what my heartrate is, when I am too intense, when I need to step it up and it keeps track of my exercise time.  It has really enhanced my workouts. Katy B
Most Active