Glucosamine & Chondroitin Supplementation

kypdurran
on 1/3/08 2:39 am - Baton Rouge, LA

As I slowly increase my weekly running mileage in preperation for the triathlon and marathons I'm doing this year I've found that after long runs my knees and to a lesser extent my ankles kinda hurt a bit.   The pain is only for a short time and I do stretch extensively before and after running.  It was suggested that glucosamine / chondroitin supplementation would offer some benefits for sore achy joints.   Has anyone used these supplements in the past and did they offer any noticeable benefit?

Thanks much.

Chad

Chris G.
on 1/3/08 5:37 am
Hey Chad. Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic's website, and it has some useful info. I've never tried it myself (too young) but they support its use in knee osteoarthritis. You may also want to look at your running mechanics. Try to stay on the balls of your feet, keep your abs and lower back (core) tight and keep your legs pushing like pistons in an engine. Modifying your mechanics should also help with the pain. Good luck. Chris Gillette, MS
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/08 5:56 am
Hey there stranger, welcome back! Hope you are doing well - done with your degree?
Rob S.
on 1/3/08 9:15 pm - DE
I have been using a product called Vessence every morning that has glucosamine/chondrotin/MSM every morning for the past nine months.  I don't know if it is effective or not, but at 54 I am amazed that I have no joint pain even after my long runs.  The worst thing is I may need an ice pack for 30-minutes of recovery after a very long run.  So I'll keep taking it regardless.  FYI. Prior to my RNY I was on heavy doses of Celebrex for near-arthritic knees and suffered from severe back pain.  I have not taken any Celebrex in four years. Rob
sharyn_pear
on 1/14/08 4:47 am - Australia
My husband has a bad back and he swears by G & C.  He doesn't use it always but when his back starts to play up he goes on a regime of it and it sure seems to help.  I use it for my old arthritic dog and cat too.  My cat's front legs stopped clicking when she walks and dont  swell anymore.  I read somewhere that it works for some and not others.  It suggested a course of six weeks and if you are one of the people it will work for you will notice a difference in that time. Sharyn
kypdurran
on 1/14/08 5:33 am - Baton Rouge, LA
I'm dosing it as more of preventative measures more than anything else.  I have mild pain in my knees and ankles but that can be expected I guess since my per week mileage will go over 50 this week. 
Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 2/6/08 5:26 pm - OH
I have benefitted from them I also buy orange juice with added gluclosamine. You might also try taking Vitamin D it has been a great help to the pain in my joints and also the muscle soreness from working out. I take 1,000 icu I think it is 2 times a day.
"Your BANDestiny is in your own hands!"
Status: Highest weight 378  Prebanding 299.6 Current Weight 244.2
Most Active