Weight Training

BOP
on 1/2/08 6:09 am - Central, CA
My surgeon said I should wait a month after my Lap RNY before lifting weights.  Sounds reasonable to me.  For those of you that are ahead of me on this journey and have lived it, is that too soon, or just right? Brian
johnb_az
on 1/2/08 6:35 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Brian,   I don't know about others, but my surgeon said two months.  Good luck with your weight loss journey.
Earl C.
on 1/2/08 7:02 am - Circleville, OH
Hi Brian, Mine told me 4 to 6 weeks originally. He knew I had been lifting for 30 years so pretty much ok'd me at 4 weeks to do what I could. But I was doing light band exercises and Dumbbell stuff a few days out of the hospital. I didn't do anything heavy like squats or benching for probably 6 to 8 weeks. Even then I was starting over with a empty bar. I don't see anything wrong with doing a few sets of light curls or lateral raises if you feel up to it. But I'd be careful doing anything bent over or even lying down at first. No straining. Good luck Earl
Rob S.
on 1/2/08 9:56 am - DE

Welcome Brian, You always got to listen to your surgeon.  There's  plenty of time to hit the weights down the road.  My recommendation is to stress the cardio early, work in the weights with resistance bands, and then hit the weights.  The cardio really helps to keep your system moving, losing, and toning. Rob

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/08 9:26 pm - FL
I would feel comfortable following your surgeons recommendation.  I'm sure he wouldn't want you to have any problems and wouldn't recommend something that was going to put you in danger.  Just start slow and work your way up. My surgeon requires his patients to have a G-tube for 6 weeks.  As long as I had that darn thing dangling out of my stomach, ripping my skin every time I moved, I wasn't about to step foot in a gym! Wanda
kypdurran
on 1/3/08 1:52 am - Baton Rouge, LA
6 weeks was the minimum length of time that my doc ordered me for each of my three surgeries.   Each was laproscopic too.   You can start a cardio routine well before whatever time your doc tells you though.   Walking will do wonders for you the first month or so after surgery.
Most Active