walking 1/2 or full marathon post wls

Full Tilt Boogie .
on 1/2/08 11:14 am - none of your bee's wax, CA
I would love to walk a half or full marathon in the spring, wls was Nov 12 and I am doing great, any words of wisdom?

Grow some and use 'um!     

Rob S.
on 1/2/08 9:51 pm - DE
Awesome goal.  I would start with a 5k and see how you do and work your way up to longer distances. Rob
Full Tilt Boogie .
on 1/3/08 12:12 pm - none of your bee's wax, CA
Thank you Rob, sorry for the no avi, I am having trouble getting a new one up...the 5k sounds like a great idea...bmah 

Grow some and use 'um!     

kypdurran
on 1/3/08 1:55 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Pick up a copy of Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham.   It's a great book and I've used it over the last year to prepare myself for some half and full marathons I'll be running this year along with some triathlons.   He outlines everything from walking, walk/running, run/walking and running both half and full marathons.  

Which marathon are you considering? 

Full Tilt Boogie .
on 1/3/08 12:19 pm - none of your bee's wax, CA
I walked a half some years ago at my exact weight, it was tough,but do-able. I was thinking of the full marathon in San Diego June 1st. My fluid intake is still not what I want it to be so a 1/2 may be in order. I am checking them out. I am also starting cna classes then lvn and then rn. I will need the strength for my new career, I now teach dance, and am 54. I can easily walk two miles no problem, but not at a good speed. I think I need to do general conditioning right now then do which ever in Dec/Jan. I saw lots of them at that time of year here in California. Thank you for the book, I will get it. bmah

Grow some and use 'um!     

Full Tilt Boogie .
on 1/4/08 5:34 am - none of your bee's wax, CA
I will do the Disneyland 1/2 marathon the end of Aug.  bmah

Grow some and use 'um!     

Scott William
on 1/3/08 2:45 am
Both ideas are good.  Start small and work up.  Increase your water intake for either.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Full Tilt Boogie .
on 1/3/08 12:22 pm - none of your bee's wax, CA
Scott, I loved your photos of DW. You rock. I will read you info later, thank you for you sage advice...bmah

Grow some and use 'um!     

MaryS
on 1/3/08 8:41 am - Long Island, NY
In addition to the great suggestions you got, you might want to check out prevention.com, they have a lot of information on training to walk a marathon.  They also reference Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham, which a previous poster recommended.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Full Tilt Boogie .
on 1/3/08 12:23 pm, edited 1/3/08 12:23 pm - none of your bee's wax, CA
Mary, Love your avi, and thank you for the prevention.com info. You inspire me...bmah

Grow some and use 'um!     

Most Active