Resistance Machines

Amanda Miller
on 1/2/08 1:50 am - Cleveland, OH
I am getting conflicting information about resistance training.  I use the Life Cycle machines at the gym where there aren't any physical weights it is all done by machine. Example Chest Press  65 lbs to push out.. and 84 lbs when coming back at me.   I have heard that this is a bad way to work out?  That I should use free weights or the weight machines that you are only pushing out 65 lbs and bring that same 65 lbs back.   Any thoughts on this?  I am only halfway to goal.. I dont want to work out the wrong way and delay my progress. Amanda ps.  I have been reading the other posts about heart rate and speed.  I am 29 and 231 lbs right now (only 5'1") and when on the elliptical or treadmill I get my heartrate to around 160.. is that too high?

Curvy Consignments
13902 Puritas Ave
Cleveland, OH 44135
www.curvyconsignments.com
Plus Size Consignment Shop in Cleveland

Down 112... 46 to go.

Earl C.
on 1/2/08 7:24 am - Circleville, OH

Hi Amanda, Use what you've got.  There is no real right or wrong way. But if this is all you have access to right now, then use what you've got and don't worry about it. It's still hard work. I used hydraulic machines like this on a cruise ship gym and they can work you pretty hard. They’re not what I would use every day, but it was all I had access too.

Here’s a little calculator for your heart rate question. Personally, I think people over think this too much though.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm Good luck Earl

Amanda Miller
on 1/2/08 10:25 am - Cleveland, OH

I have a gym membership, so I have access to all 3 (resistance, free weights, and regular machines)

Thanks for the calculator! Amanda

Curvy Consignments
13902 Puritas Ave
Cleveland, OH 44135

Down 112... 46 to go.

Linn D.
on 1/6/08 11:04 am - Missoula, MT
I recently read an article that focused more on what they call 'functional training' where the weight training was part of movements we alredy make.  One example was doing lunges with extra weight attached to you.  This way you are building strength doing something your body naturally does. Some of the things they said make a lot of sense to me.  Rather than using static machines like a tricep press, it is better using cable pulls or a bench behind you to pull up onto.  Like I said, the main focus was to build strength, not define specific muscles.  When we move, we generally use muscle groups to perform an activity rather than isolated muscles.  Rather than using a stair stepper, actually go up and down flights of stairs.  Going down is just as important as going up, and then again, if you pack on some extra weight, you are building strength doing a functional activity.  As far as your heart rate question goes, during a hard, fast run mine can get up to 165 by then end (I'm 41, 155#).  As long as you take the time to get it below 100 during your cool down, I think you're fine.  I bet it takes you a while to get it up to 160 and I doubt that it stays that high for very long.  Besides, in time it will take longer to reach those higher rates because your cardiovascular system will be more efficient. I don't think that if you're doing resistance training using machines you're doing yourself any harm, or working out the wrong way, or delaying your progress in any way.  I just agree that other types of strength training are more useful. Your real gains are going to come by good cardiovascular exercise.  That's where the real calorie burning happens. Just one woman's opinion.
Amanda Miller
on 1/7/08 12:21 am - Cleveland, OH
Thanks for the information.. that is an interesting prospective! It takes me about 4 mins on the elliptical to get to 165. lol  I stay up there almost the whole time unless I drop my level or my speed.

Curvy Consignments
13902 Puritas Ave
Cleveland, OH 44135

Down 112... 46 to go.

Most Active