Resolution Run Race Report

Dan_P.
on 1/1/08 10:01 pm - Baltimore, MD
Ran in my second organized 5K event yesterday. A brisk, windy day through Patterson Park here in Baltimore. My goal was to finish in 25 minutes or less. After the first mile I was on pace at 8:20, but couldn't maintain it. The next mile was mostly uphill and the combination of the cold, wind, and (ahem) New Year's Eve activities caught up with me in a hurry. I was at 17:30 at the second mile and ended up at 26:42. Still blew the doors off my first 5K (28:39) and leaves me something to continue to strive for this year amongst many other goals.
Sporty Jill
on 1/1/08 11:34 pm - Norfolk, VA
GREAT Job!!!! And I'm jealous!  I just had plastics at the end of Oct so my running days have just begun again.  Becasue of plastics, I had to basically start over and I still get sore from time to time. But....I have already signed up for my 1st 5K for the season, but it isn't until March (Shamrock Run).   Have you done a 1/2 marathon?  I want to do the Rock and Roll Marathon/ 1/2 Marathon Labor Day weekend....anything advice you can share for training?????

Certified Personal Trainer

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna
Beginning Weight: 265  Current Weight:143 
So I run like a Girl....now keep up! 

Dan_P.
on 1/2/08 12:18 am - Baltimore, MD
Congrats on your plastics. I guess 2 months is about right according to everything I've read on the recovery period. I followed an 8 week training program through my gym for my first 5K. I'll start training for my first triathlon the last week of January (Tri is in May) and then I'm going to stretch out the running to do a half and a full this summer/fall. I signed up for the Baltimore marathon in October and will start training for that in earnest after the Tri. Good luck on your program. I think the best thing I did was to sign up for an event. It made it all the more real and made me feel like I was running for something, a goal. I'm very goal oriented and now that I've lost most of my weight I need other things to strive for.
Sporty Jill
on 1/2/08 1:54 am - Norfolk, VA

I hear ya on that...I'm goal orientated, too.  That's why I signed up for the 5K...now I HAVE to do it - haha.  I'm doing an 8 week training program to prepare for the Shamrock 8K...so far...so good.

My thing is that I'm certainly not looking to win...just finish. Good luck with the Tri!

Certified Personal Trainer

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna
Beginning Weight: 265  Current Weight:143 
So I run like a Girl....now keep up! 

Deanna34
on 1/1/08 11:36 pm - Salem, OR
Great job, Dan!  Way to start the new year! It's amazing how much that cold and wind can suck the breath right out of you!  But your time is still way better than my 5K time so I'm totally jealous!  Ha, ha! Great job! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Dan_P.
on 1/2/08 12:20 am - Baltimore, MD
Thanks Deanna. It was a lot of fun being out there yesterday. It was the first run that my wife and kids attended and having them there at the start, 1 mile mark, and finish was definitely a boost for me.
Scott William
on 1/2/08 1:54 am
Way to go, Dan.  That is a good time.  You will get to the time you want.  Don't forget the speed work.  You run fast by running fast.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Dan_P.
on 1/2/08 4:03 am - Baltimore, MD
Yeah. I need to get more consistant on the speed tip. I'm pretty sure the triathlon training has speed bursts worked into it. It'll all come together at some point.
Earl C.
on 1/2/08 7:37 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Dan. That's awesome. You know you still ran it faster than 99.999999% of the rest of the people in the world could have. Great job. Earl
Dan_P.
on 1/2/08 9:24 pm - Baltimore, MD
Well, when you put it that way...I rule! Perspective is a wonderful thing.
Most Active