Okay Long Distance Runners - Let's Talk Nutrition

Dan_P.
on 12/26/07 12:47 am - Baltimore, MD
Specifically nutrition supplements you use on long runs. I went out for a 8 miler on Sunday. I was interested in stretching it out a bit in part because I wanted to find how much my body could handle before bonking and I'm interested in what I might need to start experimenting for the triathlon in May. At about 7 miles my legs told me they were needing a break. I walked a bit and was able to finish the run, but felt that I could have kept going longer if I had something to help keep the energy up. So far I haven't done any supplementing during my workout (other than water and then only when on treadmill/eliptical).  I've scouted a few things online and in running stores and feel fine experimenting with the various options, but wanted to know what works for you and if you have any advice in this area. Thanks. -Dan
Scott William
on 12/26/07 1:17 am
I used to pack everything for a long run or stop at a store to pick up some stuff.  I now have found that I can do quite well with just powerade.  I used to use power gel, oatmeal cookies, granola bars or other carb bars.  I think that the power gel's are a good option because they are small and easy.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 12/26/07 9:15 am - DE
Good question Dan, I am certainly not a long distance runner (yet), so I'm not worthy of answering this question.  But...during both my dualathon and some of my longer cycling rides I have used the GU energy gel, and Clif Shot Bloks.  The Bloks were great on the rides and got my legs back in sync real quick at the end of one of my centuries.  I have a 10-miler coming up soon, and I'm not sure if I need anything or not for that distance, since like you I haven't supplemented with anything bu****er so far.  Let me know what you come up with. Rob 
Dan_P.
on 12/27/07 4:30 am - Baltimore, MD
Thanks guys. I'll check out the gels first. -Dan
MaryS
on 12/29/07 8:34 am - Long Island, NY

Dan, I've used GU on my longer runs.  I generally don't use anything unless I'm looking at running around 10 miles or so.  The GU has worked well for me, although sometimes I've wondered if it isn't more of a pyschological boost than an physical boost - either way if it helps I don't know it.

Btw, I wonder about adding distance to a planned run.  I know for me it would be really hard to decide I want to run longer than 8 miles when I have already run 7.  For some reason, whether I am running 3 miles or 10 miles, the last part of the run in just as hard regardless of the distance.  I think it just proves that a large part of running in mental.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active