Kayaking and other stuff I want to do

LisaAC
on 12/25/07 12:57 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hello! I am one pound shy of having lost half my body weight and I am feeling pretty good about that!   Just over a year ago, I could barely walk half a block without bad sciatic pain and I struggled my way up the steps to my apartment, fighting for breath.  This past year, I took swimming lessons.  Began working with weights.  Got back on a bicycle for the first time in over 20 years.  Trained for and completed this diabetes walk that included walking ten miles and climbing 1000 steps.  So, now I'm wondering...what 's next? I've decided to try running and just did it for the first time this weekend.  Just a little bit...about 1/2 block every block and a half or so...but it's a start!  I figure I can increase as able during my walks.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I plan to buy a bicycle soon too, so I can build on that.  I'd like to be able to do some sort of biking vacation by next fall, so would appreciate any suggestions on building stamina there as well. A couple months back, though, I was at the shore and I saw this guy kayaking right into the waves.  I had never ever even thought of kayaking, but...it looked SO thrilling!  I thought: I MUST DO THAT!  So, I am a long way from kayaking into the waves, but I definitely want to be in the boat and starting by some time this summer.  Thing is, I have no upper body strength at all...and I imagine that's something I have to correct before I pick up a paddle!   Any kayaking enthusiasts who can give me some pointers on getting started?  Getting in proper shape?  What else I should know? I don't belong to a gym at the moment and cannot join one any time soon, but have weights, bands, and a ball at home. Thanks! Lisa
"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
KTBee
on 12/26/07 1:48 am
Lisa, Congrats on losing yourself!  Wow!  That is an awesome acheivement.  I am around 30 pounds from that goal. I am an avid kayaker!  I love it.  It really is an all over workout.   I can only speak for the sit ON style of kayak versus the sit IN style.   Biking is awesome to work those muscles you will need in your legs.  Adding squats and ab work helps.  Start your squats by standing with your back to a chair, stick your arms straight out in front of you, squat like you are going to sit while sticking your butt out.  Touch the chair and come back up with control and not speed.  Repeat a bunch because it  also isn't just your upper body--your core is important in kayaking.  Your excercise ball probably came with an exercise chart that illustrates ball workout options.  Sit ups off your ball and pushups are a way to work your abs and your upper body.   You said you had bands...If you hook the stretch band in a door with an attachment or around something stable you can do work on your upper back/shoulders both facing and away from whatever the band is attached to.  The bands are great for biceps and triceps.  They should have an exercise guide that illustrates those moves too.    A word on selection when you go to get your kayak.  Kayaks are like women's shoes.  They fit everyone differently and you can't find an every purpose shoe that will take you both hiking and dancing.  Like shoes, you have to try them on.  Renting for a time is an option.  The more expensive speciality stores will load them up and take you to the water to try them out.  Most stores have some sort of spring try out at the nearest body of water--call and find out when.  Do some research.  I am completely sold on Wilderness Kayaks and Ocean Kayak brands.  There are multi-purpose types but they limit you if you have a specific in mind.  Distance kayaks are not the same as what you would want in the waves.  The ones you run a river with aren't the same as the ones you would fish from in a bay.  I started with a more stable kayak when I weighed over 300 pounds.  It was harder to push through the water to get started but then it cruised pretty well.  While my husband's first kayak was smaller, less stable, and moved faster.  You can stand in mine easily and fish from it.  His can handle the waves on the beach better.    Since we haul four around at a time, we had a trailer made but you can shove them in a van or tie them on top of a car with a swim noodle that has been cut in half as cushion on the roof. Okay, this was long but I wanted to cover as much as I could.  LOL It is so awesome that you have made fitness such a way of life.  It is a good example to those in your support group. Hugs,  Katy B.
LisaAC
on 12/26/07 7:50 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks very much for the response, Katy!  And I appreciate all the info.  Good to know that some things I enjoy doing can help me train for other things as well, such as the cycling helping me become kayak ready. Thanks again. Lisa
"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
KTBee
on 12/27/07 5:23 am

Lisa, You are going to love kayaking!  I have glided up on big water birds who didn't hear me coming.  To be able to get so close and hear their wings flap as they go by is awesome.  The photo opportunities are great.  I tried once to see how shallow I could go and I slipped my hand in the water as a measure and I could go into 4 1/2 inch deep water without touching bottom.  Of course I can go endlessly deep too.  My trainer actually has gone shark fishing from a kayak.  I have no desire to do that.  I prefer not to be drug out to sea!  LOL And you have plenty of time to get ready and explore your options before purchasing.  Let me know what kind you end up with and what you learn. Hugs, Katy B

LisaAC
on 12/27/07 1:30 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Katy, that does sound wonderful. It's a shame you aren't closer to show me some of these workouts and such...or at least how to use the exercise ball without falling off it - I haven't mastered that yet! Lisa
KTBee
on 12/28/07 3:53 am
LOL.   I know what you mean about the exercise ball.  It took me a bit to get used to it, but it helps if you use it for an office chair or sit on it while watching tv.  I learned to use it in a chiropractor's office doing a sort of rehab with lots of stretching.  You just do what you can and keep it up and it gets easier.  A big tip with the kayaking is to remember not to go out until you are starting to get tired.  Take short trips at first because you have to turn around and come back.  LOL Hugs, Katy B
MaryS
on 12/29/07 8:37 am - Long Island, NY

Lisa, Wow - can you believe yourself!?!  Isn't it wonderful to be taking about kayaking, biking and running?  As far as the running is concerned the "Couch to 5k" program is a great way to build your distance.  Here is a link to the program:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

LisaAC
on 12/29/07 9:03 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks very much, Mary!  I'll check out that program - and look forward to reading about your own running journey! Lisa
rreiny
on 1/2/08 2:00 am - Epsom, NH
Hi - I love kayaking and have done it for about 6 years now - fat and skinny.  I personally don't think it requires any upper body strength other than what you have.  I just got in and paddled - and learned how to paddle, what kind of kayak I should have gotton, etc along the way.  I just like water and it was something I could do when I weighed 240 pounds.  I started with a litle 10 footer and very quickly graduated to a 12 footer.  I do mostly river kayaking and did one sea kayak.  Waves usually require at least 14 feet of boat.  The other poster was absolutely correct in that each kayak is for a different person.  Specialty stores will give you lots of information - go to a few and ask - and try them out.  How small or big you are also depends on what type you get.  My sister is tiny so some of the kayaks were too "tall" for her - she needed a lower one so she wouldn't hit her hands while paddling.  Enjoy your new found ventures - and have fun with the running.  I ran my first 5K last summer and did the 8 week training thing you can find online - plan to do more. 
LisaAC
on 1/2/08 9:41 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the advice! Lisa
Most Active