Future Fitness

RebelInnj
on 12/22/07 4:42 am - NJ
I posted this message on the lapband board and someone suggested I post it here. I am 61 and should have surgery the end of February.  Right now due to arthritis, bad knees and a bad EKG all I am allowed to do is walk and swim.  I got something in the mail saying that they are going to open up a new Future Fitness about 1/2 mile from my house.  Since there are no local places to exercise I was so happy.  They have a pool and the doctor wants me to do water exercises. I called them and all the person wanted to do was sign me up.  Over the course of 15 minutes of high pressure he refused to discuss price.  He was extremely hard sell.  He kept repeating that this was a private club and they could be particular and not accept you for membership, yada, yada, yada.  I had to come in to another facility and talk with HIM  (yea, right) or I wouldn't be considered for membership.  I googled Future Fitness and complaint.com and read many unfavorable remarks about the hard sell and pressure that they put on you.  Doesn't work with me but I was wondering if anyone went to a Future Fitness and what their experience is like.  Thanks so much.
Earl C.
on 12/23/07 7:42 am - Circleville, OH
I've never been there but researched the website.  It sounds like a very  upscale facility. I'm thinking it's very, very expensive.  It's like buying a time share or a car. Anything that cost that much they won't quote you a price over the phone. They need to see you in person to sell you on that much of a price. The fact it's a private club usually means there will probably be some kind of membership fee on top of the monthly dues. If you have the money, go check it out "after it's actually open". I wouldn't join based off what another club is like, sight unseen. Visit the actual club about the time of day you would be going everyday. That will tell you how busy it is. (I hate a busy gym.) Don't take any money, check book or credit cards with you when you visit it for the first time. If you put 1 dollar down you're locked into a contract. That will give you an out if you really don't like it or need time to think about it. Good luck Earl
RebelInnj
on 12/23/07 8:13 am - NJ
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions.  Great ideas!  Helen
Most Active