When to start running and treadmill vs. street

FinallyLosingIt_07
on 12/21/07 11:08 am - Kettleman City, CA

The last time I did any running was high school P.E. and I weighed around 230lbs.  I'm closing back in on that number and considering I'm not 15 years old anymore, I was wondering at what weight those of you who run started running?  I'll probably start on a treadmill, what are your thoughts on treadmill vs. street?  What shoes would you recommend?  I currently wear New Balance for my job. I feel like I have all this energy bottled up and I'm ready to put it to work.

Highest weight 360  Day of surgery 289 Current weight 200

robross
on 12/21/07 8:18 pm - Los Angeles, CA
I'd recommend you wait until you lose more weight before you start running. Stick to walking for now. I trained, and ran in, the 2001 LA Marathon. When I started training, I weighed about 230, and I lost weight down to 200, but then I got injured. I ended up gaining 20 more pounds and ran the marathon at around 219. (Actually, it was a run/walk program where you run for a few minutes, then walk for a few minutes.) I really messed up my feet, and I've come to realize it's because of the intense pressure on your legs, knees, and feet that happens when you run, especially with all that excess weight on you. So now that I'm back on the weight loss express, I've stuck to walking, 3 miles , 3 times a week. And that's been plenty of exercise so far. I will start running again when I get down to about 160. I'm mentally EAGER to be running again. Having lost 60 pounds now, I feel really "light" on my feet. But I have to resist the temptation to literally run before I can walk. So that's another goal I'm looking forward to, but one that I will make when my body is ready to handle the strain.
Rob

Scott William
on 12/21/07 8:47 pm

After my surgery, I started walking on the  treadmill at 2.5mph  for 5 minutes.   I did that for a couple of months until I couldn't take it anymore.  Then I started to throw in some running segments.  13 months after surgery, I ran my first marathon.

Treadmill -vs- Street

Treadmill pros.  There is no wind or rain.  You can control the speed and other factors. You can run safely and in the dark without worrying.  It will also be cool in the summer.

Treadmill cons.  It can be tedious and boring.  The gym is usually a little warm in the winter. Running planet.com has a great article on the pros and cons of treadmill running. I like street running because of the exploring and scenery aspect.  One con to street running is the crown on the road may lead to injuries because the left leg is always lower than the right.  I have had to get my chirorpactor on standby to help me out - especially on long runs.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
IowaGirl
on 12/22/07 5:36 am - Iowa City, IA
There's a few of us on the Couch to 5k plan, which is a gradual way to work up your running stamina.  It's planned to take a couple months, but you can make it go longer if needs be.  I've been on it two weeks and love it!! (I'm planning on running my first 5k in July so I may take it a bit slower than the two month plan.)

dnw0523
on 12/22/07 8:38 am - kensington, Canada
I started the Couch to 5k when I was 5 weeks post-op.(around 250 lbs).That was the 3rd week of August.I ran my 1st 5k run on Sept 30. I did injure my hip this fall from overtraining and had to take about 1 month off and visit my chiropractor.But I was running about 5 days a week and on my days off from running i would walk at least 10k. I thought I had to You don't have to and you shouldn't. I have signed up for my 1st Half Marathon. It is scheduled for Feb. 10th. Today I ran 10k. I follow my training schedule,no more or no less. I do treadmill and street. All depends on the weather. I can handle the cold,you just make sure you dress properly.I do not like the wind . And if the roads are slippery , I stay in on my treadmill. For shoes, I would head to your nearest running store and ask for  an opinion.I think most brands make a decent running shoe but you need one to be fitted properly to you.It does make a huge difference.Especially when you are carrying the extra weight. I wouldn't skimp on this area.To help protect your feet, knees,hips and everything else in there you need proper footwear. With all that said ,use your own judgement. You know your body best.Running is the most wonderful gift I have given myself. I am still losing weight, I am about 190 lbs and would like to get down to about 168 lbs.In 5 short months I feel I have come a long way. Best of luck and hopefully 2008 will be your year! Cheers, Donna
Linn D.
on 1/8/08 2:08 am - Missoula, MT
I'm a lot older than you and had problems with my knees since high school.  That being said, I started a walk to jog program I got from prevention magazine about 3.5 years ago and started it when I was about 190 lbs.  I do almost all my running on a treadmill partly because I know where the potty rooms are at the gym.  I get the runner's runs since having the RNY and only have about 2 minutes to get to the potty when I start having the cramps.  I also find treadmills easier on my body, but I use the incline some so that it is more represntative of the muscles you use when running outside.  I train indoors and run races outdoors. As far as the shoes you should use, please do yourself a favor and go to a running store and get fitted for your foot.  I have a low arch but don't overpronate too much so I use a stability shoe.  Some brands just fit some people better, and you won't know until you get fitted and do some running on them. Best of luck to you starting out.  It's hard, it hurts, but gets easier.  It's the best thing I've ever done for myself and has helped me keep the weight off.  I've worn the same jeans for the last 3+ years and I've done it mostly because I run. By the way, also spend the money on a good sports bra.  You'll be sorry if you don't. Linn
Most Active