Running in the cold?

deb_m
on 12/16/07 7:30 am - Sanford, NC
I am headed up to Wisconsin for the holidays and have a few questions about running in the cold.  I will be in weeks 2 and 3 of the couch to 5k program while we're up there.  So far I have been doing the walking/running on a treadmill in a nice comfortable gym.  I'm too cheap to pay $50 for a 2 week membership while visiting, but want to continue with the couch to 5k, while there.  So...that means I'll be running outside.  Temps are averaging around 20 degrees (yikes!)  Any advice for moving from inside to outside, and from warm to cold temps?  I'm concerned about the cold on my lungs, I do get quite winded, and am not prepared for the cold weather (with or without running!)  :)  That said, I am excited about going and can't wait to get on a pair of ice skates!.
Deb
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker 

Cassie W.
on 12/16/07 9:00 am
Deb,   I'm from Central New York and prefer running outside vs the treadmill any day.  My group ran 8 miles Saturday with temperatures that climbed from 3 to 10 degrees.  These are the things that I keep in mind when I'm running in the cold: - Extend the warm up.  When it's cold, I take a little extra time to warm up my muscles.  You may find that you need to increase your walking ratio and slow your pace when you're running in the cold.  I don't know the science, but my heart rate is higher when the temperature is sub-freezing. - Wear layers, along with a hat, gloves, and reflective vest.  You don't want to overdress, though.  I like to wear a half-zip top that I can unzip a little when I need a little ventilation.  Saturday I wore a face covering so I wouldn't get frostbite on my nose. - Be flexible in your training schedule.  I watch the Weather channel and pick the best day for my runs.  I don't mind the cold, but I'm afraid of slippery roads.  I like to make sure the plows have had time to clean up any slush and salt icy roads. Congratulations on maintaining your training schedule!  Enjoy the holidays! Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

deb_m
on 12/17/07 7:54 am - Sanford, NC
flexibility is great advice.  I would typically try to set a schedule and stick to it (otherwise I'd be trying to get out of things), but you're right that it's important to watch the weather.  Will do...thanks!
Deb

Scott William
on 12/16/07 8:59 pm
I'll do 18 miles on the treadmill before running in the very cold.   Wind is actually my biggest objection.   If you can warm up inside for a bit, that can help.  Also, wear layers.  I have gone on runs where I have to pull off my sweatshirt and go back for it later.  You will heat up during the run.  If you have mittens as opposed to regular gloves, go with the mittens.  Otherwise, your fingers will get cold.  A heat pack in the gloves never hurt either.  If there in a prevailing wind, run into it on the way out so you can run with it on the way back.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
deb_m
on 12/17/07 7:56 am - Sanford, NC
Oh, I'd prefer to run on the treadmill, that's for sure!  Especially since I've become a weather wimp (it's been 13 years since I've lived up there.)  But, the show must go on, and I have to at least give it a try.  I'll make sure to dress in layers and bring the mittens for the run.  I bought some of those heat packs for my hubby's christmas stocking.  I may have to go buy a few more for me!  :)
Deb

allannah
on 12/18/07 9:01 pm - Round Rock, TX
Man you're brave girl! :) I wear gloves and sweat pants and the whole 9 yards when I go jogging in 40 degree weather first thing in the morning HERE. Of course I've been quite a wimp with my jogging since the mornings dropped below 50, I need a thousand lashes with a wet noodle or something. 

Allannah

Most Active