Conflicting Suggestions

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/07 2:17 am
I have a question....Which do you think is better for post-op weightloss workout, Weight training or Cardio? I've gotten suggestions from people telling me one is better than the other. Ex: Someone told me that I should only do 20-30 min. of cardio a day and spend most of my time weight training because I'll lose the weight faster and I'll look better than I would if I did mostly cardio. Anyone have any thoughts on this ? All suggestions are appreciated ......I really just want to get the best results out of my workouts.
maggie2006
on 12/14/07 2:24 am - Hialeah, FL
Hi there, My physician recommended at least 30 minutes of cardio every day in addition to weight training 3X per week.  The cardio will burn the fat, while the weight training will preserve & tone your muscle mass.  Start slowly and gradually increase your reps & weights.  Hope this helps!
kypdurran
on 12/14/07 3:12 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Neither is 'better' than the other.   Weight training and cardio training work hand in hand.   I'd suggest that you find an exercise routine that works for you and incorporates both weightlifting and cardio.

If you have the time devote a morning workout to cardio and an evening workout to weight lifting.   My daily workout consists of a 2 mile run in the morning.   45 minutes of weights at lunch along with another mile or running.   In the evening I'll run stadiums for a half hour or so at a college close to my office.   My routine keeps me on my toes and doesn't get boring.  

Good luck!

Dan_P.
on 12/14/07 4:07 am - Baltimore, MD
I'd echo that both are important.  Since surgery I've mostly done both cardio and strength training. I went for a time where I just did weights and my loss slowed so I reintroduced cardio and it sped up again. Then I started a running program that left little time for anything else and my loss slowed so I reintroduced weights and the loss sped up again. That is the "what works for me". Now I'm working on getting ready for a triathlon so I'm incorporating strength training with the running/biking/swimming.  I'd recommend having fun with it and don't ever get bored with any routine. The body will adjust to it. Keep pushing and keep trying new things. Good luck!
Scott William
on 12/14/07 8:38 am
I also put in a vote for both.  Unfortunately I don't take my own advice and have been primarily working with the cardio for about a year.  I felt better when I would do 30 minutes of each about 5 times a week.  More muscle will help burn more calories at rest.  Cardio burns calories and strengthens the heart.  Go for both.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Kevin A.
on 12/14/07 9:43 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I agree weight and cardio is what you need for the best results!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Earl C.
on 12/16/07 9:45 am - Circleville, OH
I think you should do both. More time spent on cardio at first though, cardio every day and if you haven't done it before surgery, just 2 or 3 full body weight workouts per week. Weight training post op is more about trying to maintain or at least, not lose much of the muscle you already have. If you can gain muscle on 300-600 calories a day, more power to you. Holding on to whatever muscle you already have will help keep your metabolism burning higher, because as you lose muscle, your body will burn fewer calories. Earl
Most Active