I started running - Thanks for the advice!

deb_m
on 12/10/07 7:06 am - Sanford, NC
Thanks everyone for your advice on basics to start running a few weeks ago.  I was going to wait until I got below 200 pounds, but got so excited, I started on Saturday (at 202 pounds.)  I am just thrilled to the gills!  I'm following the couch to 5k program on coolrunnings.com.  I even found a guy that developed some MP3/Podcasts to go along with the program.  Good upbeat music, and he tells you when to run and when to walk, along with some motivational words along the way. Anyway, I did round 1 on Saturday and it went really well!  I was tired when done, but I was able to keep up.  Oh, and the compression garments really helped with the "extra skin".  Thanks for the advice, I'm so thrilled to have met this goal, and can't wait until I'm running my first full 5K!
Deb
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker 

Cassie W.
on 12/10/07 8:20 am
Congratulations!  Just beware.  That sense of accomplishment is addictive.  Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

MaryS
on 12/10/07 11:01 am - Long Island, NY
Deb, Congratulations on getting started running.  Just take your time with the program and don't rush things, the last thing you want is an injury.  It won't be long before you'll be doing your first 5k.  Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

susiewong
on 12/10/07 10:12 pm - NV
Deb, Bravo!! How exciting you started running.  My knees cannot take it anymore so I hung up my running shoes and do hills on my treadmill and interval drills by walking fast.  Just do not get that feeling of euphoria like used to running. sighhh

SUSIEWONG
5'4 (Surgery: 226) (Presently: 133) (Doc's Goal: 141)

wjoegreen
on 12/10/07 11:44 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Welcome to your new addicition.  Its a great way to get toned and tightened, to keep those compliments coming and get out and get some fresh air.  Don't forget to look around while you're out.  Besides the trash we leave on the roadsides, the sky and trees, the wildlife, the clouds or stars, it's a beautiful and amazing world.  And the accomplishment and progress yo will make is great for the ego and confidence. Its a great activity to get involved with.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
deb_m
on 12/11/07 10:49 am - Sanford, NC
Thanks Joe!  Right now while I'm getting started I'm using the treadmill at the gym, but I'm looking forward to the day when I get comfortable enough to "take it outside".  :)  All of those beautiful things in this world are my true passion.  So, running outside, hiking in the mountains, whitewater rafting, etc are all things I have to look forward to.  I'm so excited!!!
Deb

Scott William
on 12/11/07 12:53 am
Congrats!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
IowaGirl
on 12/13/07 10:09 am - Iowa City, IA
I just start couch to 5k today and I love it!! I'm going to try to run a 5k sometime this spring but.. we'll see where I am! (I'm planning to take it a pinch slower!)

deb_m
on 12/16/07 7:23 am - Sanford, NC
Tomorrow starts my week 2.  :)  So far, so good!  Let me know how it all works out for you along the way!
Deb

Most Active