First race completed

ermath
on 12/13/07 11:02 pm - Hammond, LA
Chad:   Yeah, we had a blast, and I can't wait to try again.  Also, you are the 6th person that I have heard was in DW last week. . . half of Hammond relocated temporarily, it seems. . .   We are talking about signing up for the Mardi Gras Mambo in BR or the Family Gras Classic in Metarie; both are 10Ks during the last week of January.    Our goal is to be ready to run the entire CCC. . .and, although I have my doubts, I am hopeful that it isn't an impossible reach.    Also, thanks for telling me about the stadium; I was able to get in several days, before they started locking it at night.  Have you had any problems with its availability? ~Erin
Age: 30, Height: 5'9", Weight: 437/185/170, Sur: RNY Nov05

kypdurran
on 12/13/07 11:33 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Not really.  They close the gate around 5PM but I just open it. :)   I've yet to find a the padlock on the gate from 5PM - 5:30PM.   Maybe one of the maintenance guys is locking it up after that?

I've also noticed that they have it locked sometimes in the morning before 8AM.   I don't even bother in the mornings anymore and just do my 2mile lap around campus. 

Regarding the Classic...  The first mile or two is so jam packed you are almost halfway walking.  By the third mile you finally get to set a pace and before you know it you are at City Park, the race is over and the party begins.   There is entertainment along the entire route too.   (from the runners who are dressed up to the bystanders handing out nachos, beer and hot dogs to the runners.)  It's a great race.   :)

I'm adding the Louisiana Tri-Athalon to my schedule next year too.  It's in New Roads at the end of April.   (500m swim in False River, 25mi bike and 5K run)   That sounds do-able on my quest to do the full IronMan in Hawaii in a few years.  

ermath
on 12/16/07 11:29 pm - Hammond, LA
  They have had it padlocked the last several times I have tried. . .usually around 5:30ish.  You must have the magic touch and timing to get in.   Although I have nothing else to compare it to, I can't imagine how someone wouldn't enjoy herself running in NO.  Any reason to have a party. . . we really cannot wait for the next one!   Your goal to enter the Iron Man circuit is really impressive and a testament to putting your health first (which it should be).   

Lagniappe12
on 12/17/07 10:51 pm - Atlanta, GA
Thank you for sharing.  You have a very inspiring story!

516.6/
232.2/180- 284.4 lbs down!

Duodenal Switch - 8/30/2006 - Dr. Marchesini
My Blog | Lab Rat Data | DuodenalSwitch.com

ermath
on 12/17/07 11:56 pm - Hammond, LA
Thanks so much, Tia!  Your dedication to blogging about your journey is far more inspiration than my occasional peddling for an "Atta, girl!" from the masses at large. . .  Being introspective throughout these grand adjustments is probably the best thing anyone can do for herself, and the fact that you put it out for others to witness is a gift.  Take care and keep on keeping on. . . ~Erin

Lagniappe12
on 12/18/07 4:13 am - Atlanta, GA
Aww, thanks!  I think my blog is an exercise in some healthy navel-gazing and it helps me work my way through all of this. I've been hanging out on this forum lately because one of my goals for 2008 is to run the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta on the 4th of July.  I have no meaningful history in running so I am just trying to learn as much as I can before I start a program in January.  It's a little daunting and exciting as I never, EVER, thought I'd be running anywhere ... unless I was on fire or being chased by a dog or something...

516.6/
232.2/180- 284.4 lbs down!

Duodenal Switch - 8/30/2006 - Dr. Marchesini
My Blog | Lab Rat Data | DuodenalSwitch.com

ermath
on 12/18/07 11:22 pm - Hammond, LA
I have not gotten to the point where I am following a defined plan. . .just being active and working in running jaunts is it.  Having race goals seems to be a great self-imposed monitor.  Yay for you!

Most Active