three year anniversary - wanted to share with my work-out buddies

MaryS
on 12/9/07 8:09 am, edited 12/9/07 8:19 am - Long Island, NY

What an amazing journey the last 3 years has been.  I've lost 150 pounds and I've kept it off 16 months.  For the last 16 months my weight has been fairly stable.  I don't think I've ever maintained a weight for such a long period of time. I worried whether or not the surgery would work for me, I was sure I would be the one person who wouldn't lose weight.  So, that wasn't true.  Now my struggle is with worrying about regaining weight.  It is a constant battle. 

Now that I am three years out from surgery, it is so much easier to eat.  I can understand how easy it is to gain weight.  While I can't eat large quantities at one time, I could certainly graze my way through the day.  This is why I would emphasize the importance of developing good habits in the early days after surgery.

The success of the last three years is not measured just in pounds.  There are so many other measures such as:

• my diabetes being under control.  This is the number one, most important result of my weight loss!
  • I can move with ease
  • I can run.  I ran in the NYC Marathon a month ago, fulfilling a dream I had for a long time.
  • I don't have to worry about fitting into plane seats.  Just this week I traveled to Texas for a class.  Coming home I had to sit in the middle seat.  Now, I would still prefer not to sit in the middle, but I didn't have to worry about fitting or being able to get out of the row when the person on the inside needs to get up.
  • Taking dance lessons.
  • Taking the stairs, just because I can.

As important as all my successes and WOW moments are, it is also important to me that I remember the pain. I don't want to forget how miserable I was, as I believe it helps me not to allow myself to go back there. I know it could be all too easy to slip back into old habits. It is easier to eat now, and I can eat more than I've been able to. I have to watch that I don't allow myself to start picking up bad habits along the way.  Here are some before and afters:

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Rob S.
on 12/9/07 9:40 pm - DE
Mary,  Congratulations on 3-years.  You are inspiration to all of us.   I still enjoy reading your blog of the NYC marathon.  You have reason to be proud.  Continued success! Rob
Dan_P.
on 12/9/07 10:22 pm - Baltimore, MD
Congrats Mary. You will never forget and keep taking on new challenges. Keep on keepin on!
wjoegreen
on 12/9/07 11:28 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Thanks for the reminders and the experienced counsel.  It is good advice especially with the holidays and all the temptations to throw us off track and mess with our workout schedules.  Keep on trucking and thanks for all the inspiration as of late.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Deanna34
on 12/10/07 12:49 am - Salem, OR
Congratulations Mary!  You are so inspiring to me!  I really do look up to you and all you've accomplished.  You are an amazing success! I'm so proud of you! Deanna

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Kevin A.
on 12/10/07 2:47 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
What a great 3 years it has been!! You really are an inspiration!! Congrats on your successes and I look forward to hearing about more!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Cassie W.
on 12/10/07 8:05 am
Thanks Mary for sharing your story and insight.  It's great to hear from people who are three or more years out so we know what challenges lie ahead and how we can beat them.  Your transformation is inspiring and reminds us all what is possible with determination.  Congratulations!
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active