Pre-op Gym work out bashfulness

Robin H.
on 12/9/07 2:21 am - Boise, ID
Hi! I am pre-op and have been going to the gym to lose my inital weight, i have great work outs but i have been getting so nervous of the gym lately and i think its been hindering my workout. As much as i don't want to worry about what other people are thinking it is so hard since i am so large, any tips on how to get over it?? p.s. i don't have any friends to go with me
IowaGirl
on 12/9/07 3:43 am - Iowa City, IA
Is there a gym with a pool nearby? I did some water aerobics classes preop and it was nice because there were quite a few larger people in the class so I felt less nervous. I still get nervous at the gym when I am lifting or doing cardio.  I'm usually one of the bigger people.. but then I tell myself. "HEY.  You're getting healthy and busting your butt.  NO ONE should be down on you for that.. including you!" I also take my iPod with motivational music on it to help.

Robin H.
on 12/9/07 4:05 am - Boise, ID
There is a grea****er areobics class at my gym and i love going to it, the first few times were awkward but it got alot better, lol and my ipod is my best friend when i am doing my cardio. Thanks for the reply!!!!
MaryS
on 12/9/07 7:41 am - Long Island, NY
Robin, I certainly understand your fear.  I worked out at a gym regularly before my surgery.  The only thing I can say is that most people are too into their own workouts to worry about anyone else at the gym.  Try to keep that in mind.  Also, remember you are doing this for your health and you don't need to worry about anyone else.  Keep going to the gym, it will make your surgery easier to recover from. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 12/10/07 1:15 am
I know that this doesn't answer the question because there are dicks who go to the gym but when I am there, I am impresses that anyone is there and don't judge people.  You are doing more than the 99% of people not at the gym that day.  Try to get over that feeling.  I know its tough.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
deb_m
on 12/10/07 7:01 am - Sanford, NC
I used to get some funny looks, as if the muscle bound guy belonged there more than I did.  It's kind of ironic though, because you know he wasn't born that way, and had to start somewhere!  You just have to get it set in your mind that you're there for you, to improve your health.  That's the same thing everyone else is there for.  Good for you that you're working out pre-op too!  That's going to help your body be stronger for your recovery, keep it up!
Deb
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker 

Robin H.
on 12/13/07 2:59 am - Boise, ID
Thank you guys so much! I have been splitting up my gym work out between gyms i have one at my work which is small and im usually the only one there but at my big gym i go to i like having other people there its somewhat a motivation i just know i am doing this for me and that wow what an amazing change it will be after my surgery. As worried as i am about other people i am proud that i am starting early. I went to my pre surgery class and there were about 10 people there and i was the ONLY person that is currently working on everything before the surgery, one lady kept making excuses and excuses and it made me think, "man thats the reason why i am here today" i have been making excuses my entire life and now there is no reason for excuses. I have decided that if anyone looks at me or even makes a comment i am just going to bru**** off, because this is about ME!!!!
Rob S.
on 12/13/07 4:52 am - DE
It is great that you are going to the gym pre-op.  I did the same, and it was brutal.  I thought everyone was laughing at me.  Four years later, I realize that people are really just taking care of their business.  You can meet some great people at the gym, and learn a lot of different methods of exercise.  Most people get excited when you ask them about techniques.  I  actually have three personal trainers who work-out (usually a 5k run) with me every Sunday.   I feel like I'm a drain on them, but they always tell me that they look forward to busting my butt.  You would think three very young and attractive females would have a better hobby. The one big lesson I learned pre-op at the gym from my personal trainer was don't worry about what you do, but make sure you are in constant motion for 30-minutes.  So if you are doing a weight as soon as you finish, walk a lap.  Just moving for a minimum of 30-minutes really helps, and you'll find that you want to work-out longer as you start losing weight and feeling better. This time is all about you.  So take advantage of it. Rob
Most Active