Questions for Triathlon Competitors

Seht
on 12/6/07 2:26 am

Hello,

I have a goal for myself to be able to complete some type of triathlon, even a mini one.

So here is a little bit about me.

I am just beginning my journey, I have lost 100 pounds pre-surgery.  My actual Surgery date is 1/22/08.  I have a health goal for myself to be able to complete some type of triathlon event.  They even did one at the local YMCA that was all done inside the Y.  Run on treadmill, swim laps in the pool and ride the bikes. 

1.  How do I start, if you did one, what was your starting point.

2.  Can you recommend any good sites for information and training resources.

3.  What is your training regime like.

4.  How long did it take before you felt like you could actually start and finish an event. I know I'm not there yet, but this is a personal goal of mine. Thanks for your time. Scott

bouch23
on 12/8/07 11:24 am - TX
Hi Scott- What an awesome goal to have!!!  I completed 2 triathlons last year.  The first one was a sprint triathlon which was a 300 meter swim (in a pool), 14 mile bike and 5k run.  Then I completed an Olympic distance triathlon which was a .6 mile open water swim, 28 mile bike and 6.5 mile run.  I trained with Team in Training and they provided all of the training information that I needed and had coaches and mentors to help us along the way.  It was most of ours first triathlons so we needed all the coaching we could get.  That sounds cool to do everything at the Y.  That would be a good way to get your first one in    You could look up http://www.BeginnerTriathlate.com they have some good information on there.  Also http://www.trifind.com/ you can look up different races that are in your area.  You have done so well losing 100 lbs pre-surgery!!!  That is GREAT!!!!  The good thing about working with Team in Training was that they started us out really slow and worked up for the endurance.  You can do it!!!!   Hope my information helped  :) Thanks, Karen
Seht
on 12/8/07 3:30 pm

Thanks so much for the reply, I will deffinately be doing some reading. Thanks again. and congrats on the 2 triathlons this year. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active