Increased exercise, but losing sleep?

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/07 9:51 pm - Miramar Beach, FL

I've been at goal weight since June, but just recently decided to pu**** on down to the mid-range of my normal BMI zone.  So, I'm back to watching my diet and have ramped up the exercise.  The weight is actually dropping off again, but I do have an issue that's sort of bothering me.  I can't seem to fall asleep and stay asleep.  I know how important a good 8 hours of sleep a night is for general good health and for weight loss, but I can't seem to get more than 4-5 hours a night.  Could this be related to the increase exercise?  Sometimes my muscles feel kind of jumpy at night.  On the plus side, I really haven't felt any side effects from the reduced sleep, I have plenty of energy, and feel great.   Has anyone heard of exercise impacting sleep in a negative way?  Any suggestions for improving the quality of sleep? Thanks! Tami

wjoegreen
on 12/5/07 10:16 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
I have that issue too if I jog after 5 or 6 p.m. for 1-2 hrs.  If I get my jog in earlier in the day, it doesn't bother my sleep.  I figure it must have something to do with the post-exercise calorie burning and metabolism slow-down process.  If I go out after 8 p.m., sleep is really messed up.  So i chalk it up to experience and try to get out earlier. Good luck with that and congrads on your rekindling the loss process. 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Salmygal
on 12/5/07 10:53 pm
I ONLY exercise in the morning.  If I exercise after 4pm that nights sleep is shot!  I never thought that I would be a morning person but you get used to it.  Great job on working out!
Most Active