Honolulu Marathon & Marathons Pre Surgery??

Amanda K.
on 12/4/07 2:27 am - Leesburg, VA
Hey Ya'll! Thanks Steve W for inviting me over here... I finished the Honolulu Marathon in 2004 pre surgery at 224pounds.    I trained with AIDS Marathon raising monies for Whitman Walker clinic and the fight agaist HIV/AIDS.  I loved every minuite of it! Since then Ive put on a tremendous amount of weight (topping 290) and miss running SO MUCH! I am scheduled for RNY on 12.14 and can't wait to get back to running and run another marathon ! The MCM (Marine Corps) has my name on it as I was trianing in 2003 and got injured.. so I have a beef to pick with that 26K course... I WILL run and finish that marathon! Who ran pre surgery? Tips for getting back into it?  Couch to 5K.. this OH place gets better and better so glad to see so many post op runners!!! and LDR at that!! YAY! Amanda
 Amanda  

MaryS
on 12/4/07 10:42 am - Long Island, NY

Hi Amanda, I am one of the post-wls runners.  My body couldn't handle running before I lost a good amount of weight.   I think something like couch to 5k is a great way to get started.  Good luck with your surgery - it will be here before you know it!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 12/5/07 12:01 am
You are welcome John.  Kidding.   I was not a "runner" as a pre-op but I did run for other sports until a few years before my surgery.   My only advice for now is good shoes.  If you have already run one than you probably know that.  Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 12/5/07 12:37 am - DE
Hi Amanda, I was never a runner pre-op.  But started jogging two years ago, after growing a little bored of cycling, and have since gotten the running bug.  I used the Couch to 5k, and a lot of advice from people on this site to keep moving.  I have done two 10ks, and a myriad of 5ks.  I am gearing up now for a 10-miler in January, and then the 13.1-mile (half-marathon) in March. If all goes well I hope to do the Disney Marathon in Jan 2009. Keep moving, Rob
Most Active