Not really sweating enough??

IowaGirl
on 12/3/07 8:11 am - Iowa City, IA
I've been doing about 30 minutes of cardio (treadmill or elliptical) and 15 minutes of weight training (either upper body or lower body) 5x a week. I find that my heartbeat is elevated and in the proper zone for weight loss, but I don't really *sweat* a lot.  I'm out of breath and definitely working out, but do I need to pu**** more? My heartbeat is usually in the 115-125 zone during the peak of the workout.

susiewong
on 12/3/07 11:39 am - NV
 I do not know if your treadmill has numerous programs, but mine has several with a heart rate program. I have a monitor I wear and it syncs with the treadmill. I do a program that works with my heart rate.  At my age I should be around 118heart rate, but this program is geared to weightloss so during the hour program it kicks up the dots to 6 out of 10 and my heart rate jumps up to about 140 and the program stays there for approx. 20 mins.  Talk about sweating!  I think you need to kick up the hills on your treadmill to get you sweating and heartrate up  When I am at about 120 I do not sweat either. Hope this might help.  Just my two cents.

SUSIEWONG
5'4 (Surgery: 226) (Presently: 133) (Doc's Goal: 141)

IowaGirl
on 12/3/07 12:10 pm - Iowa City, IA
I'm doing the "weight loss" program on it, but it just doesn't feel like I'm getting that much out of it.  I know you have to be careful so that your hr doesn't get too high because it defeats the purpose. Thank you! I'll try a little bit more vigorous program!

Earl C.
on 12/4/07 12:13 pm - Circleville, OH
Kinda sounds like you already know you should kick it up a notch if you're not getting that much out of it. Just progress slowly, but kick it up. PS I've found some people just don't sweat much period. I wouldn't worry about the sweating. Earl
Deanna34
on 12/4/07 12:11 am - Salem, OR

Are you drinking enough water during the day?  Maybe you're dehydrated and need to increase your water intake?  Not sure!

Good job with the exercise though!

Deanna

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

IowaGirl
on 12/4/07 1:11 am - Iowa City, IA
Hmm.. that's definitely a possibility because I know I'm a pinch on the low side.  I will try to get in another 20 oz to see if that helps.  Thanks!

MaryS
on 12/4/07 10:50 am - Long Island, NY
Strange as it may sound, I've found that as I've gotten in better shape I sweat more.  Maybe my body has become more efficient at handling the effort.  In my early days of working out it would be hard for me to break a sweat.  If you are out of breath and your heart rate in in the proper zone, you probably don't need to worry about how much you are sweating.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active