Inexpensive Treadmill that's decent???

Dawn B.
on 12/2/07 1:55 pm, edited 12/5/07 11:26 pm - Anderson, CA
Hi All!   I'm 2.4 yrs post-op and doing great, but I need to get exercising as my body composition has changed, and not for the good. What I want/need is a treadmill that I can walk on while watching TV instead of sitting on my duff. It needs to be able to go up to 5 mph for up to an hour an day, auto incline up to 10, have a place to hold a water bottle, be quiet enough that I don't have to blare my TV, and I'd love some type of variable setting and a fan. Now of course, that's a pretty big wish list, especially since I have limited monetary resources and I'd love to spend less than $300, but will go as high as $400 if I have to.  What suggestions do you guys have for me, and which should I stay away from at all costs? Thanks,

Dawn   5'7" 258/142
'What's important is not necessarily where you are, but in what direction you are going.' Oliver Wendel Holmes

wjoegreen
on 12/3/07 1:32 am - Colonial Heights, VA
WalMart has two treadmills I looked at this weekend, but if that bothers you, We have aplace called Play it Again Sports that sells used sport equipment htey acquire from closed gyms, tradeins, etc and you can fnd some good deals as well as junk so you just have to be selective and make sure it works before you take it home.  Maybe they have something like that in CA.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
wjoegreen
on 12/5/07 10:26 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
So hows the treadmll shopping going.  Have you bought a beast or are you waiting to see what Santa leaves under the tree??
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Dawn B.
on 12/5/07 11:26 pm - Anderson, CA
Hello,   It's not going. I knew about the ones at Wal-mart - problem is their reviews aren't exactly wonderful and you're the only one that's replied. So.. either everyone else on this board doesn't like theirs or have spent a lot more money than I have to spend. Since I'm "Santa" there won't be one under the tree.  I'll probably look through the Penny Saver or Craig's list to see if I can find an upper-end used one - or just try one of the Wal-mart brands and hope for the best.  Thanks for the response and follow-up. Dawn

Dawn   5'7" 258/142
'What's important is not necessarily where you are, but in what direction you are going.' Oliver Wendel Holmes

Jenn S.
on 12/10/07 12:19 am
Dawn, We just went through the whole treadmill shopping experience in the last few months.  I cannot necessarily tell you what to buy in terms of a less expensive treadmill, but I can tell you what NOT to buy -- do not buy the ProForm they sell at Sears -- I got one and put it on carpet in my basement and the static electricity built up and would SHOCK me every time I went to grab onto the handles on the side.  A treadmill SHOULD be able to sit on carpet I would think.  We ended up spending quite a bit more and got a BowFlex 7 series.  it was around $1000 but well worth it.  It's more like the ones they have at the gym and I don't feel like I am going to break it or something -- also the cheaper ones are usually louder.  This one is very smooth and quiet.  I have seen some good deals on decent ones on craigslist and i have also seen some that looked like a good deal on QVC or HSN when flipping through.  Just some ideas.  I really do think with a treadmill, you get what you pay for, so if you are able to find a good USED one, it may be more in your budget.  Why get one that is just going to turn into a clothes hanger you know?  Get one you will use!  Don't know if I was much help!
Most Active