Finished Philadelphia Marathon

Cassie W.
on 12/2/07 5:47 am

When I started running in March, my goal was to finish a local 15K in July.  Considering that I couldn't run longer than a 1 minute without huffing and puffing, I thought THAT was a pretty lofty goal.   But, I got hooked!  My first 5K led to my first 10K.  As the July 15K approached, I was already planning  for a half marathon and started wondering if a full marathon was possible this year.  A co-worker who is an accomplished long-distance runner developed a training schedule for me and off I ran! The cold, wet weather couldn't dampen the exhilaration that warmed my heart as I ran through the historic streets of Philadelphia.  From mile 7 on, I had some intestinal issues that slowed my progress, but couldn't keep me from crossing the finish line.  I finished Philly in 5:49! For me the most memorable moment was seeing the pride on the faces of my children and my husband as I approached the finish line.  

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

MaryS
on 12/2/07 7:01 am, edited 12/2/07 10:29 am - Long Island, NY
Congratulations - what a great accomplishment!  I here the Philadelphia marathon is a lot of fun.  A couple of people from my training program were doing the Philadelphia marathon this year.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Cassie W.
on 12/3/07 6:22 am

Mary,

I thought Philadelphia was well organized.  There were plenty of porta-johns at the start.  At the one fluid station where they had run out of Gatorade, they provided extra gel shots and warned runners ahead of time so they wouldn't bypass the water.  Even at 5:49, there was plenty of food for finishers.  In some places, the streets are a little narrow, especially at the turns, but that wasn't an issue for me. Cassie

Earl C.
on 12/2/07 9:54 am - Circleville, OH

That's amazing. I can't imagine doing anything for almost 6 hours straight.

Well Done!

Earl

Deanna34
on 12/3/07 12:36 am - Salem, OR
Way to go Cassie!!!  Congratulations!  That is so inspiring! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Kevin A.
on 12/3/07 1:17 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Wow!! What great time!!! You should be very proud!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Rob S.
on 12/3/07 1:26 am - DE
Amazing job!   I plan on running the Broad Street 10-miler next year up in PHL.  You must be extremely proud of your accomplishment (just finishing) and your time! Rob
Cassie W.
on 12/3/07 6:40 am

Good luck with the 10-miler!  I see you set a pretty amazing pace for your first 10K.   Now that I know I can go the distance, my next step is to introduce intervals to build my speed.  I'm running the Disney half marathon January 12 and hope to finish in under 2:30.  My last half marathon was 2:32, so I think it's entirely possible. Cassie

Rob S.
on 12/3/07 9:40 am - DE
I hear the Disney half is a blast.  My plan is to be down there in January 2009 for either the half or the full (depending on how the year goes).    I'll be doing the Icicle 10-miler up here in January.  Should be a little difference in the temp. Have fun, Rob
Scott William
on 12/4/07 1:33 am
I too am running disney this year.  I have signed up for the Goofy which is the half and full.  Not sure why it sounded like a good idea at the time.  Oh well.  I have a link to my 07 disney marathon report in my signature.  Check it out. Here is one suggestion for the half.  Change your goal and carry a camera.  Shoot for something in the 3 hour range and really slow down and enjoy the race.    It is tough to get a PR anyway because of the crowds but if you choose, good luck.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active