WLS and weight training

sadsushi
on 11/29/07 11:11 am - LA
I'm wondering if a really good weight training program might help with the saggy skin issues of rapid weight loss.... I realize it may not help afterward, but would it possibly help as the weight is coming off to keep the skin in better condition??  Anyone know?

thanks!
  k~
Scott William
on 11/29/07 8:40 pm
Short answer: No Long answer:  You can help out slightly in areas such as the arms with some bicep and tricep work.  When I say slightly, I really mean not much at all.  In areas like the butt, stomach and thys, there is really nothing that can be done short of PS.  The skin is not going anywhere except south.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
sadsushi
on 12/1/07 11:08 am - LA
yeah, I was afraid of that *L*

thanks for the quick reply!

k~
Rob S.
on 11/29/07 9:04 pm - DE
One thing that weight training helps significantly  is building muscle.  So if you decide to have PS, it is the difference between just having the skin removed and having skin plus abs tightened and pulled together.  The second is more painful and longer recovery.   So even if outwardly you have sagging skin, hit those weights!  It is also easier to keep your weight under control. Rob
sadsushi
on 12/1/07 11:11 am - LA
That makes a lot of sense!
I will absolutely do that... I have a bowflex now but I also want to do some real weight stuff too!
I'll see what I can do in a couple of weeks!

thanks for the reply!

k~
kypdurran
on 11/30/07 4:12 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi K.

The human skin is an amazing organ that has remarkable ability to expand and contract to a certain extent with our weight gain and weight loss.   The body will adapt but only to a certain extent and thats going to depend on your age, how long  you've been overweight and how quickly you lose the weight.   Weights, keeping your body hydrated and keeping up a good cardio routine will all help. 

I've lost over 250 pounds and my only problem area is around my belly and I have the very common saggy old man ass.    The only thing that's gonna fix that is plastic surgery which I'm just not gonna do. 

Do you attend the support group meetings for Dr. Hargroder.  I try to make it at least once a month or so.    

sadsushi
on 12/1/07 11:06 am - LA
thanks for the reply kyp!

I haven't attended any meetings yet, I'm 2 weeks out...but I'm planning to attend the next one (the last one at the present location) on Dec. 5th (i think it is)

I'm hoping my only REAL problem area will be my belly as that's where most of my weight is...I could camoflouge that with clothing I think *L*  But right now, I'm laying on the firming cream to my face and neck area... those are areas I can't hide so easily

I do intend to incorporate some weight training with my walking and other stuff...maybe within the next couple of weeks!

k~
wjoegreen
on 12/1/07 12:09 am - Colonial Heights, VA

I have no guarantees fo eyou and the answers you alreadyhave come from the experienced side of the surgery so they are all speaking the truth as it impacted them as I am about too.  But we are all individuals and there are multiple factors that all play a role. That being said, I am posting a response because, starting at 408 and now being at 230, I have a whole lot less loose  flab than I feared and I can only attribute it to walking early and often that lead to walking longer and farther, then getting pumped from numerous runners on the boards and letting that take my walking to jogging and even doing my first 10K ever 6 moths post op.  The cardio has helped keep me toned and contol of a healthy muslce to fat ratio; 19% body fat at 12 month follow-up.  I have done some minor arm work with free weights; curls, pull-downs, dip, press,etc, but nothing intense.  I also haven't spend hord of money on equipment or memberships.  I have bought some workout clothes and am on my 4th pair of running shoes.  Iam very pleased with my results. I started at walking to te end of my driveway and back the first week home and now jog between 15 minimum to 24 max miles a week, usually 45-60 mins to at a time, ranging from 3 to 8 miles per outing.  Its not always fun or pumped about starting but I almost always feel better when I finish and really love the end product of the work.  It makes daily life much easier to accomplish and cope with.  I recommend it or something that gets you excited about exercising.  It is worth every second and drop of sweat. Keep us posted on your journey and the success you are about to increase.

Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
sadsushi
on 12/1/07 11:14 am - LA
thanks joe!

that's very impressive... I would love one day to be a runner!!
Maybe I can start this week...with a good brisk walk!  I appreciate the thoughtful reply!

thanks,

k~
sadsushi
on 12/1/07 11:15 am - LA

And congrats to ALL of you for your motivating weight loss!!

It's amazing to me still!

k~
Most Active