help me !

Brandy Hyche
on 11/29/07 6:49 am - COTTONDALE, AL

Hey it has been a year and a half since I have had my surgery, I have had a lot going on but first drum roll please…. I am down to 115 lbs!!!!! I have had the best experience with my surgery I really am a new person!

I have changed my life completely I am going back to school to be a certified wellness instructor! I want to be a personal trainer specifically to help others who are going through the Gastric Bypass surgery. 

This is why I need your help. I am doing a final project and I need someone who is around 6 weeks or so out from their surgery. I believe that is when the Dr. said that is when he will give a medical release for someone to start on a physical fitness program. 

I have a project due that I need immediate help with but also I am trying to design my program and need to do a little recherché and get helpful input.

If you’re interested in getting some free personal Training advice and don’t mind being my guinea pig then please help me!!!!

For example do you or how do you work out. If you have a trainer, can you tell me what you did with your trainer and how you felt what u r doing now for example what you can lift or do? Did he or she do any fitness test on you take any measurements?  How often do you guys exercise? How long can you walk are you still week, or get tired easily? How do you feel about going to a gym? Did you work out or go to a gym before the surgery?It may be better to send me the info to my personal e-mail [email protected]
wjoegreen
on 12/1/07 12:50 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Brandy,  I am a 14 months out but vividly remember 6 weeks for a couple of reasons.  So I thought I'd try to e helpful.  Hopefully you are getting responses to your email.  I'd be curious as to the variety of responses myself. Your questions, for those at 6 weeks post-op: 1. Do you or how do you work out? Walking is about it and I have to do it in hopes of feeling better sometimes; because they say it des that and so far, they are correct. 2. If you have a trainer, can you tell me what you did with your trainer and how you felt what u r doing now for example what you can lift or do? I have no trainer but wrestled and played football in high school and have always been invloved in athletics of some sorts until about I was 35.  The last 15 years, my personal health has taken a backseat to most everything else and thats how I got in such bad shape.  My pint being, I know how to exercise and eat but haven't been doig it until now post-op; recommitted to starting over.  I'm not suppose to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 8 wight to prevent henia from open RNY.  I've done a little with some light weights (10-15 lb dumbbells) but not enough to amount to anything worth calling a program. 3. Did he or she do any fitness test on you take any measurements? N/A  i took some arm weight and chest measurements prompted by recommendations ofpeopl on the OH.com board due to weightloss periods versus stalls and such when we actually get smaller when the scales aren't moving.   4. How often do you guys exercise?  Walk daily; sometimes twice a day if I didn't like the time or distance of the earlier effort. 5. How long can you walk?   Up to 30 and 45 minutes per outing. Distance is a curiousity at this point but not the priority. 6. Are you still week, or get tired easily?  Yes, I struggled with fatigue mightly and learned to increase my B vitamins intake and neede more potassium which helped.  At the 8 week mark I started feeling stronger and was assured it was at least partially because of the standard recovery period from open RNY. By 4 months the fatigue returned and I came to realize I needed to increase my protein intake to accommodate my walking/exercise routine.  Changing from 6 gms to 120 gms a day made a significant change in my feeling good.  I ahave also increased to 200 gms now that I am jogging instead of wakling thise distances (plus) at 14 months (just for your info reference).   7. How do you feel about going to a gym?  Hate to spend the money but love the atmosphere.  Getting there when they are open was another issue I have. 8. Did you work out or go to a gym before the surgery? Once in my life I joined a gym with a friend for a year and loved it; but I was single at the time.  I also did a free 3 month membership after being married and three kids,...it didn't go so well schedule wise. So I am happy doing my own thing and getting results that are acceptable.  Having a buddy if I could find one that our schedules coincide or having a trainer would be nice if I had the money an flexibility to make that happen. Good luck on our undertaking and new career choice.  I sounds rewarding and exciting.  
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active