BMI Question?

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/07 1:13 am
I have a BMI question that I hope someone can answer.  Based on my height and weight, my BMI is 29.0.   I have been working out 5 days a week at the gym since last winter.  Now, I go to spinning class for 60 minutes 5 days a week and I have added two 60 minute weight lifting classes.  I have a Tanita scale.  My fat percentage(?) on the scale reads from 25.5 to 27.0, depending on how hydrated I am.  Is that an accurate reading of my current BMI or is 29.0 accurate?  I was hoping someone on this board would know.  Thanks. Lynne
MickATL
on 11/28/07 1:29 pm - Tucker, GA
I have a scale that also measured % of body fat.  That # is not the same as BMI or Body Mass Index.  I don't know how accurate the scale is at calculating % of body fat as it uses electrical resistance and is impacted by hydration level, etc. BMI is a simple calculation that looks at your height & weight to determine body mass.  When my BMI was 43.7, my % body fat on my scale was 36% (I believe).  Now my BMI is 25.4 and my scale says my % body fat is 20.2%.
kypdurran
on 11/28/07 11:50 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

I really don't know how accurate those Tanita scales are.   My body fat percentage comes in at 13% when I get on the one they have at my doctors office.    I've lifted weights all my life so I have a good base muscle mass but 13%?  Heh.   Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for my body fat to be 13% but I think it's more like 18-19% in all actuality.  

As far as BMI goes it's somewhat flawed for those individuals with a greater muscle mass.   According to the BMI scale Arnold Schwartzenegger in his prime would have been obese and so would most bodybuilders, NFL linebackers and other various muscular types.   BMI wants me to be around 180 pounds for my height.  I'm scared to see what I'd look like at 180 pounds.

LadyDi9080
on 12/4/07 4:46 am - Tallahassee, FL

The BMI  does not take into account muscle mass, how active you are or anything else. If you have a lean muscle mass (greater than a couch potato - which you do) then your BMI would be greater...maybe even showing you as "overweight" when you are not - really! Perhaps someone will come along and chime in about the other "scale" that is more acccurate than the BMI. (I've read about it and have done it but have forgotten about it! That's age for you! :-) ) But..BMI and your fat percentage is not the same thing. Dianne from FL PS: Good job on the gym work!

SW / GW / CW  5'10"
306 / 165 / 140
With the DS: there is no stoma, so no stoma strictures; there are no limitations (other than volume) against drinking before, during or after meals; 80% of ingested fat is malabsorbed; 98.9% of type II diabetics are CURED of this devastating disease, with data showing stable cure over 10 years out; there is the best average weight loss and most durable (average 76% excess weight loss going out 10 years) of all of the bariatric surgeries.  That's why I had a DS!

Most Active