Stuck on the treadmill...

shoop727
on 11/27/07 10:39 pm - CA
I just found this forum and have been reading the archives. I've been at or below my goal weight for more than a year now, and have been running on the treadmill. I seem to be stuck at a slow speed and can't seem to go to the next level with this. I'm a great walker, hike a lot, but when I try to run, I can't seem to up my speed or my intervals. I typically run for a couple of minutes. How do I get the mindset of being a runner? Is this just being a lazy bum? And now that it's getting cold, I'm turning into an even bigger baby... How did you guys get there?
carlaplank
on 11/27/07 10:42 pm - Albany, NY
I am very interested in the replies to this, as I am in the same boat. Carla
susiewong
on 11/27/07 11:07 pm - NV
There are some excellent books on the market that address this issue.  I remember a book titled something like Walk, Jog, Run... and it taught you  how to move from one to another with training schedules, etc. Hope this helps.  

SUSIEWONG
5'4 (Surgery: 226) (Presently: 133) (Doc's Goal: 141)

Dan_P.
on 11/28/07 3:47 am - Baltimore, MD
I started my running program 14 months after my surgery. I had been exercising all along, but decided that I wanted to start running and needed a goal. My goal was a 5k. Circled Komen's Race for the Cure and talked with the running guy at my gym who gave me a beginner training schedule - 5K. Eight weeks. Day one, week one was run/walk/jog 15 minutes. Started on the treadmill. Ran as much as I could probably 10 minutes running and 5 walking. Then I kept it up. The next week the times increased by 5 minutes. The next week, 5 minutes more. The more I did, the more I was able to run. By the end of my training program I was running 40 minutes no problem. Finished the 5 K in under 30 minutes. Today at "lunch" I ran 5.8. Some things that helped me:  1. Weather permitting, I LOVE to run outside. Different rhythm. My ipod is on. If a fast song comes on and I want to haul ass for a bit then I do. If I need to take it slower I can. I set the pace, not the treadmill.   2. Work through that first 5 minutes. I hate getting started. I think this happens to a lot of people. It takes awhile to get the body ramped up. Your brain is screaming at you to stop and is scrambling to adjust. When you get the blood pumping, it's easy to keep going for a spell.  I'll be happy to send you what I used for training. My advice would be to circle a date for a 5K and use that as a goal to train. Once the weight is off or you're close, it's helpful to have goals.
Scott William
on 11/28/07 3:48 am
First of all, there is nothing that says you have to run.  If you enjoy walking and it is working out for you, stick with it.  I run because I did not feel challanged walking and eventually got the marathon thing in my head.  I bought a book the other day on marathon walking and there are many people on my Disney Marathon message board that was walkers.  Walking is in. With that, if you want to run you seem to be trying the right things.  Is it that you just can't get comfortable running?  There are times when I run that I am actually running too slowly and it is tougher on me that if I were going faster.  Perhaps, you could up the speed a bit and maybe feel more comfortable.   Walk for a minute and run for a minute.  Alternate that for a few miles and see how you feel.  The next time walk for 55 seconds and run for 1:05 and see how that feels.  Keep up that program until you are where you want to be.   You could also sign up for a race.  There is nothing that is better motivation than having already signed up for a race.  Then you make yourself do it. If all else fails, go to the local high school or college and talk to the track coach.  It may seem wierd but the nature of a coach is to want to help peolpe learn stuff.  I can't imagine a coach being anything but nice about it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
shoop727
on 11/28/07 8:07 am - CA
Thank you for the tips and suggestions. I really want to be able to run, I just wondered if maybe I'm missing some "trick" of the sport that could make success a done deal. Sounds like though, that I just need to keep at it. I notice that I do feel more "comfortable"  when I do go a little faster than when I try to go more slowly.
Cassie W.
on 12/2/07 6:18 am
One of the things that most helped me become a runner was running with other people.  Check into your local running club.  I was fortunate that ours had a beginners' training program.  During the group runs, the volunteers would help with pacing.  Over time, I found a training partner who shares my pace and my goals.  We challenge and support each other to run faster and farther.  Saturday, even though it was 23 degrees and snow dusted the roads, we bundled up and ran. 
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active