New runner...Any suggestions?

deb_m
on 11/27/07 5:32 am - Sanford, NC
Hello, I had surgery on October 9th, and have lost 43 pounds so far.  Before surgery I set a goal to start running when I got below 200 pounds.  I only have 7 pounds before I'm at 199, and am trying to decide how to start.  My husband and I were talking about it last night, and he suggested that I research running styles, and programs.  So, I'm going to look into ideas on the web, but thought that this would be the best place to start.  I'm definitely going to invest in some kind of compression clothing to hold the skin down, but other than that...I'm kind of at a loss.   I have access to a treadmill at the gym, or can run outside at home (although it is very hilly and sometimes even difficult to walk the hills.)  Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Deb
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker 

Deanna34
on 11/27/07 5:54 am - Salem, OR

Hi Deb!

It's definately harder to run outside versus on the treadmill.  So my advice is to start on the treadmill and do intervals ... run for 2 minutes, walk for 1 minute, run for 2 minutes, walk for 1 minute, etc.  You can choose whatever length of time for your intervals but this is what my fitness coach had me start with.   I think I started with 5.0 mph for my first running speed and my walking speed was around 3.5 ... that way you keep your heart rate up but you also get a chance to catch a breath in between running.  You can build upon that as you go until you are running longer periods of time.

You will love it ... it gives you a great sense of satisfaction!  You'll be signing up for your first 5K before you know it!

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

deb_m
on 11/27/07 12:30 pm - Sanford, NC

Thanks Deanna,

I think the intervals are probably the way to go.  I appreciate the advice!

Deb

Scott William
on 11/27/07 7:03 am
Intervals are a good idea when starting out.  The compression clothing is a must for we jiggly skinners.  I would also go to a running specialty store so that they can fit you in a good shoe.  If in doubt go a half size bigger.  I normally wear a 12 but have a pair that fit well and are 14's.  There is definitely no shame in walking (even though I wait for all the cars to pass me before I walk?).   Look for races in your area in the spring and sign up for one.  You have enough time that you can look for a 10K.  If that sounds like too much, make it a 5K but register.  That will ensure your training keeps on pace.  Most of all, enjoy it.  Enjoy the scenery and don't worry about those hills.  They used to be tough.  Not anymore!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
deb_m
on 11/27/07 12:32 pm - Sanford, NC
Hi Scott,  I do have good shoes.  That's the one thing I have.  I think I'll start on a treadmill just so I can keep track of pace at first, but will try to add running outside before long.  You're right...the scenery is much better.  Can't wait until I can say the hills aren't tough! 
Deb

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/07 10:20 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
You may want to check out http://www.coolrunning.com/  The site offers info on going from being a couch potato to running a 5K in just over 2 months.  It offers suggested workouts in terms of time and distance, and about how to work up to longer times/distances.  I've been working out for a long time now, but am just beginning to consider running for cardio (I've been using an elliptical trainer, rowing machine, and stationary bike for my cardio).  Anyway, I found this site helpful and hope you do as well.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
MyQnA
on 11/28/07 2:52 am
I have nothing to offer but, support excellent post!  I started running about 3 weeks ago when walking didnt do the same for my workout.  I am now at about 1 mile  2x a day.  I wish you the nothing but success.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

Most Active