Running Stadiums...

kypdurran
on 11/27/07 1:07 am - Baton Rouge, LA

First, I'd like to introduce myself and say hello.  I had RNY around 18 months ago and have been an exercise addict since.  I usually hang out on the Men's board but imagine my surprise when I noticed that OH had a board devoted to one of my primary hobbies.  :)

I posted this topic on the men's board a week or two ago regarding my experience with running stadiums and how they improved my race time.   I wouldn't have believed it unless my time had actually improved.    

I'm fortunate to have a local college (Southeastern Louisiana University) a half mile from my office.   They have a nice, concrete stadium that's open during the day.  Each 'row' is around 52 steps and they have 11 rows on each side.   (We go up and down the same row rather than doing the serpantine thing running up one row and down another.)     My running partner and I have gradually worked up one additional row per wee****il this week where we are doing a full 11 rows plus another 5 more.    I'll work in stadiums as my primary workout at least 3X a week.   (This week I self-imposed a punishment of three-a-days because of the gorging I did over the holiday and I'll do them all five days.)  It's definately a workout and unlike some other exercises it doesn't get easier.

So about my race times.    I ran the Walk from Obesity 5K in Baton Rouge at the beginning of September a few weeks before I started running stadiums.   I finished it in a respectable 29 minutes.   I ran a 5K a couple weeks ago and finished in 24:30 which knocked close to 5 minutes off my time in less than 3 months.   I attribute that to the stairs.   I'm curious to what my next 10K time will be now.  

So, anyone else run stadiums and if so have you experienced similar results?  

Deanna34
on 11/27/07 8:20 am - Salem, OR

Hey Chad!  My gosh, you look like a totally different person from your before picture!  Awesome job!

I had my RNY surgery 18 months ago and I'm now running too.  Although I'm not near as fast as you ... maybe I need to start stadium training too!  It sounds fun and challenging.  Does it hurt your knees at all?

I saw on your profile that you applied to be on Survivor ... did you hear anything back at all?  I would totally LOVE to go on that show!  You are so brave to apply! 

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

kypdurran
on 11/28/07 1:39 am - Baton Rouge, LA

From what I read the stadiums are supposed to strengthen the smaller muscles, ligaments and tendons in your ankles and knees not to mention the benefits to your quads and butt muscles.  

Survivor never called me back.   :(  I figured I would be a shoe-in but maybe I had the wrong show.  Oh well.  I'm gonna submit my app again this year and see what happens.

ermath
on 11/28/07 1:02 am - Hammond, LA
Kyp:   How odd.  I work at Southeastern and usually restrict my regimen to the Rec Center.  Even though I am 2 years post-op and a gym rat, building my running stamina is a slower process than I had anticipated.  While I mostly use their indoor track, I also have thought about the stadium as a resource to break up the monotony.  I see that it is open during the day.  Does this include weekends, if there isn't a home game?  You would think I could find this out more locally, rather than on a national bulletin board. . . Anyhow, much continued success! ~Erin
Age: 30, Height: 5'9", Weight: 437/185/170, Sur: RNY Nov05

kypdurran
on 11/28/07 1:40 am - Baton Rouge, LA

I run the two mile loop around campus every morning before work.  One of my best friends and my workout partner lives across the street from the rec center on General Pershing and we start / finish at his house.  I'm actually about to join again for a few months to use the pool to train for the swimming part of a triathalon I'm gonna do next year.  

Join me for a run or stadiums sometime...   My daily workout usually consists of:

Monday - Wednesday - Friday
- 2 mile run around 7:20AM
- 1 mile run at lunch and 45 minutes of weight training (usually between 11AM - 2PM at North Cypress Fitness Center)
- Stadiums (5PM)

Tuesday and Thursday
- 2 mile run around 7:20AM
- Stadiums (between 11AM and 2PM)

Chad.

ermath
on 11/28/07 7:24 am - Hammond, LA
Chad:   I appreciate the invite.  I walk my three dogs (running with them is a comedy of errors) in the morning. . .and I can't seem to get out of the office during the day.    I am usually in the gym around 5:30ish M-F and leave between 7:30 and 8:00.  I might try the stadium this Friday, yes?  Sounds like a fun break from the routine. . . ~Erin
Age: 30, Height: 5'9", Weight: 437/185/170, Sur: RNY Nov05

Most Active