New to this forum - NEED RUNNING HELP

B Girl
on 11/27/07 1:03 am, edited 11/27/07 1:18 am
Hey guys! I'm very pleased and impressed to see so many WLSers completing distance running.  It's so motivational.  I have always dreamt of a day when I, too, would be able to run.  I'm about 30 pounds from goal, and I'm ready to make that dream reality.  I've already started to incorporate run/walks in my daily exercise.  I'm not at the point that I can run 2 miles without stopping, but I certainly see progress being made. There's a local 15k in 14 weeks.  I know it sounds ambitious for a first timer, but I can cover 4 and 5 miles now.  I've got a great 12 week training program to prepare me for this 15k.  It will be tough.  I'll have to walk a lot, but this is about finishing.  I don't care if it takes me all day - I just want to finish.   Here's my question - My breasts don't seem to be an issue when I run, because I have a great sports bra.  The problem is my stomach.  As you know, WLS can leave you with some excess skin.  I'm no exception to this rule.  I can only compare the sensation to breasts pounding up and down.  Have any of you had this problem?  How did you address it?  Are there garments appropriate for running?  I have a corset, but something tells me it's not right for this task.  Any words of wisdom? Alison
kypdurran
on 11/27/07 1:10 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Under Armour makes great compression shorts and shirts that help and even eliminate the problem you are experiencing.  

I've lost 254 pounds and have some lose skin around my belly and since i refuse to have any more surgeries I have to find a happy medium and the Under Armor compression garments do the trick.   I wear the compression shirt tucked into my compression shorts with a regular top and shorts over them.  

B Girl
on 11/27/07 1:13 am
That's a great idea.  Do you find that they make you over-heat?  For some reason I worry about that.  Maybe it's because I live in Florida.  lol Would you say they run true to size?
kypdurran
on 11/27/07 1:41 am - Baton Rouge, LA

I live in Louisiana so I know all about the heat and humidity.   They are made of the high-tech beathable material.   You'll sweat in them but no more than  you would if you were wearing cotton.  

I buy mine a size smaller than I normally would wear.  

B Girl
on 11/27/07 2:49 am
Fabulous!  I checked them out and already know what I want.  Pricey, but so was all the food I used to eat.  lol.  I'm going with a capri pant, because the longest woman's shorts are still too short for me.  I really appreciate the suggestion.  All the other runners I know have never had a weight problem, which means they don't understand some of my struggles.  It's time like this that I absolutely love OH. 
Deanna34
on 11/27/07 3:07 am - Salem, OR

Hi Alison!

I have some Nike running capris pants that fit tight.  But they are long enough in the waist that I can hike them up and over my stomach skin and it helps hold it in place when I run.    I wouldn't worry at all about your time ... you can complete that 15K no problem!  Even if you have to run/walk, it's all about finishing!  Good luck with it!

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

B Girl
on 11/27/07 3:33 am
Thank you so much for the motivation!  Time isn't of the essence right now.  I just want to finish.   I'll worry with time when I'm more experienced.
kypdurran
on 11/27/07 3:10 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Wal-Mart has an off-brand compression shorts that you can find in the sporting goods section and most of the national chains will also have their own brands of compression clothing in addition to brands like Nike and Addidas.   Under Armor is the most expensive but it's also the best in my opnion.  I've owned some of the other ones and they have fallen apart after a few months of daily use and washings.  

B Girl
on 11/27/07 3:35 am

Hmm.... Maybe I should go with a cheaper brand just for my training, because I'm still very much losing.  Then I can splurge when the big event gets closer. 

kypdurran
on 11/27/07 4:37 am - Baton Rouge, LA
I actually still wear my fatty fat fat U.A. compression shirt from time to time as a regular workout shirt on top of my 'real' compression shirt.   So not all was lost.  :)
Most Active