Thanksgiving 10k...

Rob S.
on 11/22/07 9:43 am - DE

Well after baking some pies and throwing the turkey in the oven I headed off for the PNC MS 10K Run. I finished my 2nd 10k and a new PR of 59:08.  The weather was warm today.  The route was fairly tough.  The start had us all packed together for awhile so it was hard to keep a consistent pace until the first hil.  It was an uphill grade from the 1/2 mile mark to the 5 mile mark, and then a short descent for the next 1/2 mile, and then finally a flat run to the finish along the Brandywine River.  Other than a 15-second water break walk at the 4 mile mark I was able to run the race.  There were a lot of puddles and wet leaves on the route, but the best thing about the 10k is that you don't need to navigate around a lot of children. Happy Thanksgiving! Rob

Earl C.
on 11/23/07 6:38 am - Circleville, OH
Way to go Rob. Excellent job! PRs are a wonderful thing.  Heaviest thing I lifted all day yesterday was Cherry Cheese cake. But the effort was worth it. Earl
Scott William
on 11/23/07 9:37 pm
Damn it Rob, You officially have my 10K PR beat.    Congrats on your PR.  Keep up the good work.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 11/26/07 12:05 am - DE
OK, Scott.  But now you need to let me on your secret of running all those extra miles.  I can't even envision doing the half right now, although it is my goal.  Just haven't figured out how to get the extra miles.  Thanks for your inspiration. Rob
Scott William
on 11/26/07 12:43 am
The concept is easy.  Finding the time and ambition is another thing.  For a half, take one of your weekly runs and add a mile a wee****il you are at your goal.  For a full marathon add two miles a week to the long run.  To get real serious order the book, "The non runners marathon trainer".  That will give you lots of tips.  It was the book I started with.  I think they are a few bucks on Amazon. Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Kevin A.
on 11/23/07 9:50 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Wow!! What a great time!! Congrats on your new PR!!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Im2fun4u
on 11/24/07 1:20 pm - tacoma, WA
Congrats on your race and your PR. I took my son and we did our local Turkey Trot (5k), this was his first race. We had a great time and I beat my last 5k time. It was a crazy race with so many kids and families and walkers all combined. Took at least a minute to get over the starting line and then a mildly hilly course and me and hills are not friends yet so I was a little surprised I beat my time.  It was a nice way to spend my First Turkey Day in my new life! Thanks for always inspiring!~ Liz 

48lbs Lost Pre-op/19lbs of the 48lbs Lost was during 2 week Preop Clear Liquid

Rob S.
on 11/26/07 12:04 am - DE
Hey Liz, Can't believe you are already doing 5ks.  It took me two years before I even found out that I could run.  It gets addicting when you start beating your previous times doesn't it.  Good luck. Rob
Deanna34
on 11/25/07 8:50 am - Salem, OR
Way to go, Rob!!!  That is an awesome time!  I'm so jealous you're under an hour for your 10K time ... I have a ways to go to get there but I'm determined to make it!  Great job!!! Deanna

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Dan_P.
on 11/25/07 9:44 pm - Baltimore, MD
Well done Rob! Congrats on the personal best! You're really improving everytime out there. I did a five miler on Thanksgiving morning. A *****aotic. Hilly and not officially timed. I finished in about 47:30. Off my earlier 43:49, but I'm calling it a wash on account of the hills. Hilly. Hillified. Uphill. Both ways. Hillllllllllly. Up next is the Celtic Soltice 5 miler on December 15.
Most Active