HELP! Going back to the gym...need some help

Jo C.
on 11/14/07 6:20 am - CABAZON, CA
I'm so tired of making excuses of why I can't go back to the gym.

Well...I'm taking the plunge and I'm going back starting tomorrow.

The nice thing, I guess is that I'm going in the morning before work so I won't have many excuses for why I can't go.

Here's the deal.. I know I have to do at least 10 mins of a cardio warm up (elliptical) and another 10 minutes (at least) at the end of my work out.

Well, that leaves 40 minutes in between that I can do my strength training.

What should I do? Should I do all areas every day or just concentrate on 1 area a day?

I'm doing this 5 days a week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Earl C.
on 11/14/07 8:42 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Jo, Just my 2 cents... Eventually, I'd say you can work up to a split routine and work 1 or 2 bodyparts a day, but I wouldn't recommend doing that in the beginning or working your whole body 5 days in a row. I think a better way to start (and make sure you don't get sore/injuried/overwhelmed and quit before you really get started) would be a full body routine 2 or 3 days a week, like Mon Wed and Fri, then do more cardio/stretching/abs on Tues and Thursday. I think over the long haul you'll get more out of starting off that way. Check out bodybuilding.com or similar sites for an actual routine. They all work. Good luck Earl
Rob S.
on 11/14/07 9:27 am - DE
Strive for variety.  It keeps you from getting bored, and gives muscles an off day.  When I started out, I usually tried to do spinning and lifting on one day, and running and stretching on other days. The most important thing though is to show up and participate.  Good luck! Rob
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/07 8:45 pm - FL
A simple approach would be to do 30 minutes cardio every day and alternate lower body strength exercises one day and upper body exercises the next.  Also, try out any classes that your gym may offer.  I love the group exercises because I end up doing things that I normally wouldn't do on my own. Wanda 
Daises
on 11/25/07 2:43 am - Illadelph-I-A, PA
Hello Everyone... Joy, You and I are in the same EXACT boat.  I am re-joining the gym after not going for a few years.  I like you am also a morning person, (my motto is get it in, get it out get it done..EARLY)  After procratinating I've finally am ready to go back into the gym.  I'm looking to get started at 5:00 in the morning and hoping to do anywhere between 30-60 minutes of excercising.  I'm looking to start off slow and add as I go along.  please wish me luck, I know that I am going to need it.

My past and present positions does not define me as to who I am;
But, they are mere stepping-stones that will lead me t
o who I am to become. 
Daises-2007
Summer 2006Summer2007DSCN1711Summer 2008

<--- Fall 2009

Most Active