Post Surgery Exercise Plan

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/07 8:04 am - FL
I can resume exercise 4 weeks after my tummy tuck/breast lift/augmentation surgery.  Does anyone have a recommendation on how to re-enter the exercise world in a safe and realistic way?  I was thinking maybe just the treadmill for the first week, the eliptical on week two, and then adding some weight machines after that.  How does that sound?  Does anyone have any other ideas? Wanda
JeremyGentles
on 11/13/07 11:15 pm - Johnson City, TN
As long as they are letting you return to full exercise and have placed no limitations on what type of exercise you are allowed to perform, you should be able to do whatever you like.  Whether that be weight training or cardiovascular training. If there are some limitations after that 4 week period, for example limiting the amount of weight you can lift, then sure go ahead and get on the treadmill first and add resistance training as the weight restrictions are lifted.  Don't think  there is any reason to split up the treadmill and elliptical work unless you just like doing it that way.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/07 3:16 am - FL
I just love that hat, Jeremy!  The doc's paperwork just said I could resume exercise in four weeks.  I'll see him next week so I'll be sure to ask for clarification.
Scott William
on 11/13/07 11:39 pm
I think that the treadmill and eliptical sound good but I would double the amount of time that they say for the resistance stuff.  You have the rest of your life to work out.  Give yourself a chance to heal up.  I waited 8 weeks after surgery to begin the weights and still got an incisonal hernia.  They told me I could start after 6.  I personally will take it slowly now.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 11/14/07 3:12 am - FL
Ouch!  I never thought of the possibility of a hernia.  Thanks. Wanda
Rob S.
on 11/14/07 12:38 am - DE
Unlike the RNY surgery, you need to go slow after PS.  It takes time to heal and the more stretching you do, the worse the outcome of the PS.  I was allowed to walk after the first month, but not do any weights for three months after my PS.  Take it slow, heal, and then hit it hard.  There is plenty of time now! Rob
(deactivated member)
on 11/14/07 3:10 am - FL
Wow!  I wasn't expecting 3 months! Thanks for the info! Wanda
Deanna34
on 11/15/07 1:54 am - Salem, OR
I haven't had plastic surgery (yet!) but I had a thorough consultation with a good plastic surgeon and he told me 8 weeks before exercising at all.  He said your body will swell with even slight exercise like walking and that could cause your recovery to be delayed.  I would think slower would be better!  Deanna

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/07 6:22 am - FL

Yeah, I'm beginning to think slower might be better.  Not exercising causes me some anxiety though.  I'm afraid that I will lose my motivation to get back into it when the time comes.

Wanda

Most Active