Back ache after swimming

niesienoo
on 11/13/07 6:08 am - London, UK
i went for my first swim after hurting my back in May, and was very careful to only do back stroke, as breast stroke would hurt too much. well today, my back is in agony. do you think this is because of the swimming? It is the only thing I have done differently. I really want to do some exercise, and hope you can suggest other ways of maybe 'swimming' thanks aniesa

Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
Robert Collier

MyQnA
on 11/13/07 10:40 pm

Sorry to hear about your pain.  But I had a terrible injury to my pelvis about 2 years ago and the only thing that helped was being in the water even though I am terrified of the water.  So what I did and what my physical therapist recommended was walking in the water.  I would use water weights.  Which weigh nothing out of the water so I had no problem bringing them in the pool.  But even with out them I got a good workout from walking in the water.  Besides I could not swim at the time.  Always check with your doctor though.

Lots of Luck!

maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

mom23reds
on 11/17/07 12:17 pm - Bryan, TX

Do you have access to an instructional pool which is about 4' to 4'6" deep? I go every weekday morning and walk for 45 minutes in the water (4' - shoulder high on me) and just do gentle work right now. I've tried doing some swimming, but my shoulder starts hurting because it's dislocating when I reach up over my head. So instead I float on my back and flutter kick to propel myself down the lane. Then I come back and do more walking -- just for variety.

Good luck. Susan

Most Active