My elliptical says......

blessmysunnysoul
on 11/12/07 6:25 am - rio dell, CA
I have just ventured back on to my elliptical and for the first time really studied what it says on the display.....can it really be accurate about calorie burning and carb burning??? I know the time is accurate but i had no idea it could tell me how many carbs or calories i have burned during the course of my workout.....Please advise!!!!! If so i would love this since i could actually eat more fruit in my diet if i am trully burning more carbs!!

All that spirits desire, spirits attain. 

carlaplank
on 11/12/07 9:32 pm - Albany, NY
I don't know about carbs,  (it would seem impossible that the elliptical could know how many carbs you had available to burn) but I do know that ellipticals are notorious for overstating calories burned. Sorry, Carla
JeremyGentles
on 11/13/07 12:05 am, edited 11/13/07 12:25 am - Johnson City, TN
Your bodies preferred source of energy during exercise is carbohydrate; primarily glycogen which is a stored form of glucose found in muscle and liver tissue. Consuming ample carbohydrate is extremely important when it comes to exercise performance and replenishing glycogen stores after exercise. From heart rate or percentages of your max heart rate we can estimate, based on intensity, what substrates you are using for energy during exercise. For general health however this concept is much less important vs. performing well in a sporting event for example. Depending on the the elliptical it can be pretty accurate in measuring the total number of calories expended as there is a constant resistance and it simply measures how much work has to be performed to move the mass for however long and intensely you do so. This is not exact however. It will be a less accurate in estimating substrate utilization but it will provide a rough estimate. Let's take a better look...when you step onto the elliptical it asks you to enter your weight and age. From age we can calculate your estimated max heart rate. From this we could calculate let's say what heart rate you would have to work out at to be at an intensity of 75-80% of your max heart rate. If you are working out at this intensity, research shows that you are using approximately 65-70% carbohydrate and 35% fat to fuel exercise. If your exercise burned 300 total calories we can easily calculate how many calories, of the 300 total, were from carbohydrate. In this case it would be about 195 calories from carbohydrate (65% of 300 = 195). Hope this helps.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

blessmysunnysoul
on 11/13/07 1:29 am - rio dell, CA
Whatchutalkinbout willis.....lololol. Ok, so we can use the number as a ballpark measure but it wont be totally accurate....so if i work out on it for 30 mins i can have an apple lol.....this is what Im lookin at .....I am supposed to at this point be under 800 calories a day and 40g carbs but I am not loving it because i think fresh fruit is important to my personal health, and it makes me happy.  If an orange has 23g of carbs ( and they are my fav) It doesnt leave me with much more for the day so I feel like i have to earn my orange in other ways.  Can u give me some good exercises for my arms and thighs that will earn me my orange LOL!!?? Thanks  Noel

All that spirits desire, spirits attain. 

petronius
on 11/16/07 6:46 am - AZ

Thank you for that fabulous answer.  I always wondered how the eliptical knows how many calories I'm burning.   So, I'm guessing no matter what the exercise - stationary bike or treadmill - the formula is the same?  I seem to burn more calories on the treadmill  in 50 minutes than I do on the eliptical at 50 minutes.  Stationary bike is about 1/2 the calories. 

wjoegreen
on 11/13/07 1:14 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Oh yeah,.....easy for you to say. Waht did you just say??? Thanks for chiming in and providing some explanation for the scientific calculations technology provides to keep us motivated. Noe if they could just include the tenths, hundreds, and thousandths so we can see them little carbos and calroies flaming out a little faster, that would be really motivational.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
JeremyGentles
on 11/13/07 6:23 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello Joe, Just curious, what "TriCities" area are you from.....I live in Johnson City, TN which is part of the TriCities area of Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

wjoegreen
on 11/13/07 9:59 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Oh darn,....I'm in the Colonial Heights, Hopewell, Petersburg Tri-Cities area in VA 30 mins south of Richmond.  But if you choose to move, I'd love to have you numbered amongst us.  And you could still use all of your monogramed TriCities exercise clothes from your current area. How cool would that be?
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active