Back Pain When Walking

teejer
on 11/11/07 2:15 am - Fremont, CA

Hi, everyone. This is my first post on this board, but I have been lurker for a while. I am pre-op (don't have a date), but have been approved for surgery at Kaiser Fremont.  I am trying really hard to exercise, increase my stamina and lose some weight. I am trying to walk a bit more more each day (I am up to about 4000 steps a day), and am doing "pool walking" several times a week. However, my biggest problem is back pain. When I walk, my back, especially the right side, just screams. I have had x-rays done, and there is no structural damage, no disc problems, etc. However, the pain really limits my ability to walk for more than just a few minutes. Even taking the dog out for a walk in a major hassle.  Any suggestions on reducing the back pain? Any tips or tricks? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks! T. J. aka Teejer

striveforhealth
on 11/11/07 10:05 am - Portsmouth, NH
Hi - Do you wear a sports bra?  That might help.  Or...have you seen a chiropractor?  Both have helped me.  Good luck!

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

teejer
on 11/11/07 11:37 am - Fremont, CA

Well, I have been accused of having boobs before, but since I am a guy, a sports bra probably won't fly. I am not much of a believer in the chiropractic arts. The one time I did go a few years ago, the chiro suggested I come back to him after I had lost weight. Teej

MaryS
on 11/11/07 11:08 pm - Long Island, NY

T.J., I think it is great that you are trying to be active before your surgery.  It will really help with your recovery.  Another great advantage is that you are developing the exercise habit!   I don't have any tips on how you can reduce the back pain.  I'd be willing to bet that you will get some relief when you start losing weight.  If it doesn't hurt in the pool, I would stick with that for your exericse.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

ermath
on 11/12/07 6:03 am - Hammond, LA
T.J. :   As someone who has been plagued with back pain for most of my adult life, I can empathize with your condition.  A combination of weight loss and general movement are your best courses of treatment, especially if not acute source of pain can be determined.  I am 2 years post-op and 250 lbs. lighter, and I still have severe flare-ups.  Although I have greater disc degeneration than is typical for my age group, there is very little that medical professionals can provide  that I'm not doing already.   I keep moving and stretching and strengthening,  as my load lessens.  One thing I can suggest  (that may give  more immediate relief)  is to wear ThermaCare heat wraps on days when your back is really stiff, while you are walking.  Gently stretch after your muscles have had time to warm up.  Treat it gingerly, but don't stop moving. . .
Age: 30, Height: 5'9", Weight: 437/185/170, Sur: RNY Nov05

KeepingAwake
on 11/15/07 10:46 am, edited 11/15/07 11:17 am
What shoes are you walking in? If you are planning on walking as a primary form of exercise, it makes sense to buy good quality walking shoes. Also, do you do any stretching? If you are relatively new to exercise, you may be overlooking stretching. Most of us spend a lot of time sitting each day. Sitting tightens our hip flexors, lower back, butt  and our quads. That pulls our spine out of alignment. These stretches may help. Despite what you were told in high school, don't begin a workout with stretching! Stretch when your muscles are warm. This could be mid workout, post workout, or even post shower in the AM. Standing Hip flexor:  Stand with your hands on your hips. (Or one hand on a wall or chair for balance) Place one leg a full step forward. Your other leg should be back where you started if you are new to stretching. Your hands should be on your hips or you can have one hand on a wall or a chair for balance. Pull your hips forward so that they are even and lean back a bit. You should feel a pull in your upper hip, on the front (just below your belly button down to your groin), of the leg that is behind you. Only go until it is slightly uncomfortable. Then hold it for 30 seconds if you can. Switch legs and repeat. As you become better at this, you can dip the back knee closer and closer to the floor. The key to this exercise is to have your hips square-meaning they are both equally pulled forward, If you are not feeling the stretch, then pull the hip of your back leg forward, even if you feel like you are bringing it too far forward.
Standing Quad Stretch:  Stand next to a wall, so that you can place one hand on the wall for balance. Stand up straight and tall. Raise the foot that is furthest from the wall behind you so that you can grab it with your hand. Gently pull that foot towards your butt until you feel a pull in your front thigh (your quads). Make sure that your hips are square--that they are both facing forward and even with each other from the front.  Again, if your hips are not square, meaning that they are both parallel, this stretch won't work well. Work up to 30 seconds. Seated stretch for butt: Sit down near the edge of the seat. Place one heel (or ankle) on the opposite knee. Lean forward as far as you can  until you feel a slight pull. Stay there, working up to 30 seconds. Switch and repeat on other side. This also slightly stretches your lower back. *This can also be done on the floor when lying on your back, but I know it's not easy for everyone to get down on the floor and back up again! Most lower back issues are a reflection of weak stomach muscles as well as tightness of muscles that influence posture. Talk to your team about exercises that are safe for you to perform to increase ab strength at this point of your recovery.
Most Active