For the distance runners out there

MikeB
on 11/7/07 9:58 pm - Pottstown, PA
Hello everyone I'm new to this section of the site. My name is MIke and I had surgery in july of 2004. I have a question for the didtance runners out there if there are any.  I live in Pennsylvania and I'm looking to do the Broad Street Run in May it is a 10 mile run. Upon completion of that I'll most likely do the Philadelphia Distance Run in September. This is a Half Marathon. If I'm feeling really crazy maybe even attempt the Philadelphia Marathon in 09. Anyway being that we are a little different that the average distance runner is there anything special that we need to do diet and training wise?    Mike
Dan_P.
on 11/8/07 4:16 am - Baltimore, MD
Hi Mike. I'm not exactly a distance runner, but I do strive to be one. I think the general consensus is that you have to find whatever works for you. I completed an 8 week training program before I ran my first 5K early last month. Since then I've steadily increased my run times, but have not substantially changed my diet at all. I believe that I will likely increase the carb count when I begin training for a marathon next fall. A buddy of mine was telling me about the Broad Street Run the other day. I'm thinking of coming up for it. Sounds like an absolute riot. Would be beautiful as well in May.  Be well. -Dan
Scott William
on 11/8/07 1:43 pm
Mike, The first book that I read on the subject was The Non Runners Marathon trainer.  It was written by two guys who have a college course called The Marathon Course.  Finish the marathon - get an A.  Don't finish - get an F.  They take you through a simple program that will get anyone to finish a marathon.  The program starts at 3 miles and is 20 weeks long. As far as WLS specifics, I am not sure.  I would say that there is probably a little more trial and error with training supplements.  For example, I can't drink Poland Spring water without an emergency trip to the bathroom.  I did not figure out the problem for a while.  Most people use some type of carbohydrate gel to sustain energy for the long runs.  They contain sugars that can cause problems in many people.  Again, trial and error.  Typically, supplemants are needed for exercise sessions over about an hour and a half or so.  Otherwise all your energy gets depleted. Most of all, you should know that you can do it.  There is a growing group on here who have or are about to finish a marathon.  I won't speak for them but I can for me.  If I can do it, trust me, you can too.   Increase your distance little by little and you will be at your 10 miler before you know it.  Even if you only add 1/4 mile per week, you will be there by May. Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
ncarter11
on 11/14/07 2:32 am - Edmonds, WA

I popped on to OH to update my long overdue profile. Found your post after searching for information on marathoning here.  I will be running in my 3rd 1/2 marathon Thanksgiving weekend and am entertaining the idea of continuing on to train for and complete the full distance in February. I don't think you are crazy at all! KUDOS!!! I'm reading The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer. Highly recommend it.  For my long runs I had to experiment with what works best.  I have fewer restrictions now than I did when I first had surgery. I have learned what works best for me at my current mileages. On a long run or event day, I try and get up early enough that I can still do my morning routine foods (protein shake in my coffee and poached eggs.) Since they are protein they take longer to digest, so I like to have a chunk of time for my tummy to empty and for those tried and true morning foods to settle in.  About 1 hour before I run I will eat 1/2 of a breakfast cookie. They are about 300 calories, with lots of carbs! If I wasn't running I would think these are evil foods, but they work well for me when training. Alternatively I might opt for a banana (1 small) or 1/2 a banana with peanut butter. These foods sit well with me too if I consume them about an hour before I run. I also drink a great deal of water the day before and up to an hour before I run. Right before I start (if the distance calls for it) I will have a sports gel. I know which ones work for me. I can consume some very well before I run, but not during. Carb Boom or Gu works fine for me before a run, but I know I couldn't do a Carb Boom *during* a run. The small diff in fl oz. During a run I have a hard time consuming an entire Gu at once. They are not convenient to carry around open, so I pick the gels with the fewest fl oz. I also choose those with the fewest grams of sugar. I just recently learned that the dbl caffeine ones are not so good to me. I drink diluted recovery or sports drink on some runs. Again if the distance calls for it I will take in a sports gel during my run. Its better to consume it too early than late. After I run, I always go for carbs. (I typically do not eat a lot of carbs in my diet, but when running they become important) I will finish the bfast cookie or the other 1/2 banana and drink lots of fluids. It is said that the body is most primed for and best utilizes carbs after exercise when your muscular glycogen stores are depleted. 

Each mile you run eats up about 100 calories – no matter the speed. If you run 10 miles, you’ve depleted 1000 calories, just in exercise alone. I will graze on some long run days for both refueling purposes as well as to avoid too much of a caloric deficit. While training and nearing an event, I try and be selective about how and when I indulge in a deficit for weightloss purposes. I ramble. Keep in touch and tell us of your events! Best, Nancy

MikeB
on 11/14/07 6:59 am - Pottstown, PA

Well I would like to thank you guys that replied to me. I will take your advice and look in to that book. It's funny I just re-read my post and I noticed all of the typos in it. People had to read that and think what an idiot learn to use use the spell checker. anyway  thanks. I'll definetly keep you informed. Nancy Good luck with you Half marathon.

Mike

Most Active