Calling all Runners!!!

Deanna34
on 11/7/07 6:04 am - Salem, OR
Hi everyone! We have a lot of runners on the board lately.  I'm curious if you all have races that you have signed up for?  If so, what is the distance and when will it be? I signed up for a 10K coming up on November 17th.  After that I have a 5K on December 9th. I've been doing official 5K and 10K races every single month since April of 2007.  My goal is to run a half marathon in June of 2008.  Anyway, so far I've succeeded in completing a race every month.  It keeps me motivated to pay to sign up for these things!  It sure is getting cold outside but I'm determined to keep up my monthly race commitments! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Kevin A.
on 11/7/07 11:26 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Well the only race I've sign up for is the L.A. Marathon in March. I'm training every weekend with AIDS Project L.A. so that leaves no time on the weekend for other races.

But I was thinking the other day it would be very cool if a group of us ran a race together!!

Anybody interested??
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Deanna34
on 11/7/07 11:28 am - Salem, OR

Oh, that would be totally cool if we could all get together and run a race!  How fun would that be?!

So, a full marathon in March, huh?  You should be ready by then.  I know you can do it!  What is your training program like?

Deanna  :)

--Grace Hansen

Kevin A.
on 11/7/07 11:47 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
During the week I do 2 runs 30-45 minutes and on the weekends we do long runs. Last week we did 12 miles this week is a recovery run of 6 miles then 14 miles next week!! All runs are 1-2 minutes slower than your normal pace time!! The training is good but its hard running with a group, no I-pod!!!

We should find a cool race!! My vote is for the Disney 1/2 marathon!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Deanna34
on 11/7/07 12:22 pm - Salem, OR

I would soooooo be there for the Disney 1/2 marathon!  That would be awesome!

So, on your weekend runs, do you always do 14 miles and then 6 miles or do you vary the distance every two weeks? 

I've been running 3 miles 3 days a week.  Then on the weekend I've been doing a long run, last weekend was 8 miles, next weekend will be 9 miles.  I'm trying to add an additional mile to each weekend run.  But I like your idea of doing a long week and then a recovery week.  I might have to try that! 

--Grace Hansen

Kevin A.
on 11/7/07 1:01 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
We started with a 3 mile run to get our pace times and put in a group with other people with the same pace. The next weeks we went up one mile every wee****il we got to 10 miles, 12 miles, 6 miles, 14 miles, 7 miles, 17 miles... All the way up until we run the whole 26.2 about 3 or 4 weeks before the marathon.

The training program is base on Galloways Book on Running 2nd ed. I use that book to train for my 1/2 marathons. It tell you everything you need to know about running.

If you can do 8 miles you can do a 1/2 marathon!! You just have to do it!! But I think I like the shorter runs better!!

I know you would do great!!!

Deanna34
on 11/7/07 11:45 pm - Salem, OR

Hey Kevin!  I like your new picture!  You look great!

Thanks for the training advice.  I need to get that book ... I bet it has a lot of useful info in there!

--Grace Hansen

Im2fun4u
on 11/7/07 3:31 pm - tacoma, WA

I have a few more planned  November 22 5k Turkey Trot November 25 Walking a Seattle 1/2  marathon- I will be walking this with a ShellMarr from OH, I am crazy but smart enough to know I can't actually run this yet!  December 9-5k Jingle Bell Run Its amazing how addictive this all becomes, there is a 1/2 Marathon in Tacoma in May that I would like to sign up for. Pulled some training stuff from the web for the 1/2 Marathon.  You guys all keep me so motivated, as I am running I think back to things that people have posted and it keeps me going!  Just looked up the Disney 1/2 Marathon last night. I am in for sure! That would be a blast!

Liz

48lbs Lost Pre-op/19lbs of the 48lbs Lost was during 2 week Preop Clear Liquid

Deanna34
on 11/7/07 11:50 pm - Salem, OR
Hey Liz!  I'm totally up for the Disney 1/2 marathon too ... wouldn't that be a blast to get a bunch of us together for that?!   You should sign up for that 1/2 marathon in May ... it will give you a great goal to work towards!  There is one in Portland in April that I'm sooooooo tempted by.  I just might do it! Keep up the great work! Deanna  :)

--Grace Hansen

Dan_P.
on 11/8/07 3:57 am - Baltimore, MD
I'm signed up for a five miler at the Baltimore Zoo this weekend. I know I'm doing a 5K on New Year's day, but not sure of a good one for December yet. I have my eye on a 10K. I'm also going to start to step up my training for my first triathlon May 18th. I've got to get the swimming bit down. I feel like I could do the bike and run now, but the mile swim intimidates me. Anyone have any advice on how to puchase a wetsuit? Seriously. I'm intimidated. Hmmm. Half marathon.... I'm going to shoot for the Baltimore Marathon next fall I think. Golly this is a lot of fun.
Most Active